Tired Grad Student

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband just interviewed with Northwestern University in Chicago. Lots of talk around here about how tired he will be working full time and doing grad school! Let me know what you think of the photo.
DSC_0024.jpg

Congrats on grad school... but as far as the photo goes, this is just a snapshot from around the house. What did you want C&C on?

Definitely a typical grad student, computer gets turned on before coffee is finished brewing.

Um, that is exactly what he will look like plus about 4 more empty cups of coffee around him! My husband just did the same thing while juggling 2 kids with it. It a rough time, good luck

Congrats on grad school... but as far as the photo goes, this is just a snapshot from around the house. What did you want C&C on?

Not really just a snapshot . . . used my AB 800 for light, going for the messy house and tired student look, ha ha.

Not really just a snapshot . . . used my AB 800 for light, going for the messy house and tired student look, ha ha.

Your house is not messy. Next time come do the shoot at my house when I havent been able to clean for a couple days.

I would retake it and use a much shallower depth of field. If you blur out the background clutter it will look less like a snapshot IMO. You can allow enough DOF to see that it's a house/kitchen, but blur it enough to look less like it was taken with a point-and-shoot. I would also lessen the brightness on him, as well as wipe off all of the smudges/fingerprints from the Mac.

Why is your shutter speed at 1/5s?

Because I couldn't get the "natural" lighting of the kitchen to show up without it being that slow. If you know why, that would be great help . . .

I would have shot on ISO400 with a shorter shutter speed. 1/5s is a bit slow for portraiture. f/9 is also a bit steep for indoors, but that is subjective.

Because I couldn't get the "natural" lighting of the kitchen to show up without it being that slow. If you know why, that would be great help . . .

I would have shot on ISO400 with a shorter shutter speed. 1/5s is a bit slow for portraiture. f/9 is also a bit steep for indoors, but that is subjective.

Okay. I have a "fear" of ISO . . . it's weird. But there's a good chance we will try this again, also for more shallow DOF. I'll keep this in mind, thank you!

But ISO is your friend! Don't be afraid of it, use it properly and it will treat you well!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back