Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tired in the Morning Market - Luang Prabang, Laos

I was walking early in the morning and, to get to my traveling partner's hotel, I had to walk through the morning market. Women were setting up their stalls in the dark using flashlights. They must have had to get up in the middle of the night to gather their wares, take a moto to the market and set up.
It was a painful irony that the entrance to my friend's hotel was a quiet gate in the middle of the market - and inside the gate was what one would think of as a palatial garden setting.
Just an hour or so later, wealthy tourists would sit and eat expensive breakfasts and pay more for one night's room than these people earned in two months.
Reality is painful.

Color was too cheerful and almost disrespectful.

p1172815331-5.jpg

I love how the light falls away from the central figure. It's so perfect!

I love the way this image makes you feel something when you look at it. I'm willing to bet it's different with everyone who sees it. Wonderful!

Nice capture Lew, but I think background is not cooperating too well. I would say, too many vectors of attention, and then I don't think you had too much choice of an angle.

That bucket behind the main subject is very bright and draws the eye despite the vignetting; a little burning there might be worthwhile.

Agree on the bucket and I wish the woman behind her wasn't there..! But I guess that's not your choice. Besides it's a great shot..!
I'll be in Laos in a few months from now waiting to see what'll find.

I think the reality here IS the clutter. One can imagine the pristine environment of the hotel, but the reality of the other side, and less fortunate portrait of life is not about order and visual appeal. This photograph IMHO is a moment in an alternative cluttered and chaotic lifestyle that too many of us are quite willing to disregard from the comfort of our living rooms. I say WELL DONE!

This hotel is literally on the other side of the wall from the market but an amazing distance away economically.

_DSC2962.jpg

_DSC2965.jpg

how did i miss this image? It is pretty good.
nice conversion.

A great, powerful picture. Represent very well the reality they live in.

Got nothing more to say, it's great.

Most reactions

Back