Tired of looking for deals

MyHobby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't gotten lucky in finding a good deal on used tripods. This are the best deals I could find:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto Tripod Outfit 055XPROB 486RC2 + Bonus Monopod: Everything Else

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod Legs Kit w/ 498RC2 Midi Ball Head B&H

If I go for the one with the 486RC2 do I need to buy anything else? I see the 498RC2 has a plate and the other one doesn't. First time buying a tripod do it might seem like a silly question but I am really clueless. Is the 498RC2 really that much better than the 486RC2 that is discontinue?

Thanks in advance

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ball heads are problematic if you have any long heavy lenses.
Do you really need that expensive a tripod?
It seems that you are just starting out and could easily do with a real cheapo until you decide what kind og work you really want to do.
That money could be better spent towards a lens.

I know all the gear junkies here will yammer about tripods but I take a good number of shots and use a tripod maybe once a month and could even get by with less.

Thank you for your quick response Lew. Right now my heavy lens is a 18-200mm for my Nikon D5100. I'm not trying to be a pro or anything but I do need a tripod to capture my kids activities me being small the camera gets a little heavy. I do love portraits but only because I still haven't tried any other type. I've tried putting the camera on top of tables and any place that might hold and it's frustrating. I am a person that holds on to stuff for years so I do want something good from the start that will last.

I am open to suggestions on what type of head would be better suited for me.

Buy used. Post a wanted ad on the buy an sell forums. I posted here and on the canon forums and got a lot of good offers on those legs and both of the heads. I've got a 055xprob and 498rc2 on their way to me.

If you ever plan to shoot macro, this tripod is a great one bc of the center column being able to extend out.

Good luck with your search! That combo is insanely popular, so there are a ton of good deals to be had.

I think every photographer needs a tripod, and I understand the concept of purchasing a good one which will serve well for a long time, but if you aren't sure, maybe you should continue your research.

I agree with Tiller that you should try to find a good deal on a used tripod, then you can afford to get a really good one for less money.

A further note on tripod heads; any good tripod will accommodate either a ball head or a pan head.

Thanks, I just posted an ad for wanted on this forum. Hopefully I will get lucky.

You don't need a $250+ tripod for mounting a D5100 and taking shots of your kids. Buy the $45 Dolica Proline and you'll be completely happy. I own it and it's more than enough for your requirements.

You don't need a $250+ tripod for mounting a D5100 and taking shots of your kids. Buy the $45 Dolica Proline and you'll be completely happy. I own it and it's more than enough for your requirements.
totally correct.
Look in yard sales, look on local craigslist.
put an ad in your local Freecycle and get one for nothing!

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 5,096 groups with 9,323,364 members around the world. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on 'Browse Groups' above the search box. Have fun!

AND trying to get good pictures of rapidly moving children with your camera on a tripod is a futile effort.

When you need an expensive tripod you,ll know.

totally correct.
Look in yard sales, look on local craigslist.
put an ad in your local Freecycle and get one for nothing!

That's a pretty neat website! Everybody near me wants something and nobody's giving anything :roll:

FreeCycle is a Yahoo group and you have to join.
In my area at least there are 100+ listings a day of people giving stuff away.

Is it sturdy and such? What are the cons you've noticed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back