TLR lenscap?

earthmanbuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up an Airesflex TLR a while back, and it came with the original leather case, but unfortunately the case is very beat up and flaking apart like crazy. I've been trying to find a lenscap for it so I can just toss the case, but I don't really know what to look for—I bought a cheap generic one off eBay, but it's a bit too big, and most listings don't seem to give a lens size. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a place to find specific sizes of lenscaps, or if there's some kind of generic cap out there that'll fit a wider variety of TLRs.

I think this particular camera is a model U, if that's of any help. I've measured the lenses of my camera at ~27mm across with ~12mm between.

Hi, you might find that the caps of the little plastic film containers (35mm film) are suitable. I use a black one from Ilford or Agfa (not sure which) for the lens of an old Voigtländer camera I have.

Hi, you might find that the caps of the little plastic film containers (35mm film) are suitable. I use a black one from Ilford or Agfa (not sure which) for the lens of an old Voigtländer camera I have.
Good tip, thanks. I tried with a few different ones, and while some are pretty close, none of them are able to grab on.

Thanks—I did see that last night, but I'm not looking to spend a ton for authenticity...just need something simple and practical, if such a thing exists. I might even go the route of buying two single caps, as those tend to be cheap and specify sizes well. Right now I've just got the oversized one held on with an elastic band, which is fine for storage but kind of annoying when out shooting.

<edit> Just realized you mentioned model U
Aires TLRs (Japanese)
Some models do not have a bayonet mount ... that one does, looks like a Bay 1 type
I'm really not sure the model, as the info there conflicts with info I was reading on another site. Visually it definitely looks most like the Model U, but the shutter only goes to 1/200, not 1/300. I wonder if that was a typo. All the other info seems correct (Coral AC 1:3.5 lens, Copal shutter).

Thanks everyone!

Hmm, looking at the enlarged image of the U ... it does not look like it has a bay 1 ... opps.
Makes it more difficult ... as you already know.

Most reactions

Back