To all Americans! :P

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HEy there... according to your presidental election... Isn't there any candidate who will get rid of visas for the rest of the world? I wanted to go for a funeral of my aunt (in Florida) and of course I wasn't given a visa. Why? they didn't belive me. And naturally we have to leave our FINGERPRINTS! That is incredible! I will vote to inflict visas for you if you want to come and visit Poland. And of course to take your fingerprints... it is paranoia.

Don't you have there any normal politics?

Hmmm..... they don't usually deny Visa for Europeans, but US is strict in giving out Visas.

Visa is a way to prevent unwanted people from entering the country. I don't object it, especially at times like this.

I suppose you went for a short interview. What did they ask you and what did you say?

I'm surprised you couldn't get over here for a family funeral, but as for the fingerprints, I'm all for it. I'm starting to lean towards the idea that everyone should be DNA printed as well either at birth or upon entering the country.

We should be careful with this string. Some people have very passionate ideas on these and related issues that might not coincide!

I dont understand why you couldnt just come over for 90 days on the visa waiver program, it grants you absoloute ability to enter the country, providing that your stay doesnt exceed 90 days - which should have been more than enough for a funeral.

The only reason I can think of why you wouldnt have been able to do that is that Poland isnt part of the Visa waiver program.

Shark said:
I'm surprised you couldn't get over here for a family funeral, but as for the fingerprints, I'm all for it. I'm starting to lean towards the idea that everyone should be DNA printed as well either at birth or upon entering the country.

Yes sharky! I gree - EVERYONE. So Polish people, American, German or wherever they come from. But not only Poles. We aren't worse.

To Molested_cow: they asked me what for and how long do I want to stay there. When I said that I'm going for funeral, they wanted me to show the prove that this person really died. So I phoned to my family to fax the papers and of course they had to be signed by a notary. So it took another day, and I really couldn't wait too long. The two days before the funeral I resigned because I knew there are small chances to get to US. But do other nations are forced to leave fingerprints when going to USA?

Sorry to hear of your bereavement but I believe that fingerprints are now required from citizens of several other countries.
Please remember that the immigration enforcement in the USA is practically non-existent so once you're in the USA the chances of them coming after you are slim, it may have tightened up somewhat since 9/11 but I'll bet it's still poor.
It used to be a favorite with students to just stay on when their visa's expired so I suppose they're just trying to make it as difficult as possible to get in to start with.

All foreigners entering USA will have the finger prints recorded, except for the holders of certain visas, such as NATO, UN, foreign embassadors and such.

I'm going to OZ. Just as hot there as it is here but with more women. They can fingerprint me all they want.

Yeah, the american gov't can be pretty finger-print happy. There's a long list of things that Americans wil lget fingerprinted for also.

I guess fingerprinting is okay as long as all terrorist organisations fingerprint new members and pass the records on to an international database. Lots of suicide bombers etc are first time (and last time) offenders so unless they are previously recorded prints they mean nothing to customs, border security, CIA, FBI blah blah blah....
Sorry you couldn't make it over to the funeral. That sucks a big one. I too don't understand why the waiver wasn't used.

Malachite, come on over champ. I have been to a few countries and i still feel our women are the best in the world (we even have the 2004 Miss Universe).

The world is at WAR... We are all suffering from increased security at all levels. Many of these things although they dont seem like much do offer some sort of deterrant for those who want to harm us.
My hat is off to Poland and their brave citizens who want freedom.
Hats off to all who strive for that.

How long did it take the USA after World War II to relax? It will take that long again I think.

Everyone now get your passports, papers, etc. in order etc.. So if you do need them they will be ready and speed up a slow process for you.

Wish you could have made your funeral. I am not familiar with international travel but it must be a mess just by the shear numbers of people.

I'm sorry you couldn't make, especially for the reason you said.

It is a sad state of affairs now. Americans are now experiencing some things, for the first time, that other countries had experienced for decades. I truly dread the day when it becomes common to be asked for "your papers". This is a country where about the only time you needed papers or identification was when you were driving a car.

I believe there is also a generational thing here. A lot of our young people have not known "papers" or "questions" and the like. They remember Sesame Street and MTV. They never knew the "duck and cover drills" or the hassels of international travel during the Cold War. I think many of them object to things like the patriot act because of this.

But the generations that fought in WWII and were around for the Cold War and got to see and experience different ways of life are more understanding, though not necessarily approving, of the way things are going now.

Yes, I think things will be like this for awhile.

Most reactions

Back