To B&W, or not to B&W: that is the question!

You mean, overexposed on post or in camera? Here's the shot as it was captured:
From the looks of it, in post. Do you do your editing in photoshop, and if so do you use adjustment layers? I personally use adjustment layers, and after I've made my adjustments I'll revisit each individual adjustment layer to reduce it's opacity; in most cases my initial changes are exaggerated, so going back and reducing each one a little bit gives me more subtle but also more effective results.

In these shots, I think you could reduce whichever adjustments you made that affect the exposure and contrast.
I'm actually more of a lightroom guy! hahah but I think the same applies there! I'll go back and reduce my adjustments! Thanks a lot!

For some posters of a certain age all of our childhood photos are black and white.

fighter2020-01-31_16-08-03.jpg
I think this would benefit from a reshoot.
IME, his left forearm and hand are too close to the margin, slightly OOF and not well defined.
His chest is over bright and draws attention and his torso is truncated.
IMO, the composition at this distance is too disjointed.

I suggest moving back, using a longer lens, getting a tighter composition with his arms, torso and upper legs and lighting his face and hands more than his chest.
IMO, less contrast would give better results

Here's the shot as it was captured:
Ahh.. MUCH better! All that is needed for that to be outstanding is a hair light or reflector at camera right and high.

In general I find myself leaning towards B&W for architectural shots with lots of contrast. For portraits, although this by no means a rule, I often lean towards color. Now someone will post a portrait that is clearly better in B&W!

Thank you all guys! Your feedback is much appreciated!

View attachment 186100 I think this would benefit from a reshoot.
IME, his left forearm and hand are too close to the margin, slightly OOF and not well defined.
His chest is over bright and draws attention and his torso is truncated.
IMO, the composition at this distance is too disjointed.

I suggest moving back, using a longer lens, getting a tighter composition with his arms, torso and upper legs and lighting his face and hands more than his chest.
IMO, less contrast would give better results
The room I was in didn't quite allow for longer distances and longer focal lenght, though I really like your advice and I will try to have this reshot! I'll look for another place and give it a second go! Thank you for the advice! :)

I like the ultra-high contrast lith film look.

Most reactions

Back