To B+W or not to B+W

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love black and white but I admit that I often struggle in deciding when to shoot just for BW or when to go with a conversion. I was playing with some macro shots this weekend and had a weird idea to do some conversions then place them side by side. Funny thing, I liked all the BW ones better. Here is one of the more obvious examples. The color one is boring to me.

$cosmos duo.JPG

Hmm, I like the colour better ... there is not enough of "something" in the monochrome version.

I'm with the OP on this one - I like the black and white better. The first one seems to obvious: "Look, it's a bright pink flower! It contrasts with the green! Pretty!" The black and white one drew me in and is much more subtle, which made me keep looking. You can notice a lot more cool details than you can in the pink. You see more texture in the veins of the petals, the leaves around the base, the range of tones.

The color version is lovely, but uncomplicated. The black and white is subtle and intriguing.

I'm with the OP on this one - I like the black and white better. The first one seems to obvious: "Look, it's a bright pink flower! It contrasts with the green! Pretty!" The black and white one drew me in and is much more subtle, which made me keep looking. You can notice a lot more cool details than you can in the pink. You see more texture in the veins of the petals, the leaves around the base, the range of tones.

The color version is lovely, but uncomplicated. The black and white is subtle and intriguing.

Id agree with this actually. First thoughts of pink and green are colorful, but easily pass on to something else more interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back