To be a Child (no 56K)

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is part two of "I Left my Heart in Thailand" due to my lack of motivation in the last month or two to take photos, I have been digging through my 'archives' and taking some more out that are half decent.
Just a brief background on these shots: All of these were taken in the Chiang Rai province of northern Thailand bordering Laos and Myanmar. There are nine kids in total in this orphanage, each of which is beautiful in their own way and every single one enjoys being infront of (or touching) the camera.

I would greatly appreciate any critiquing. Thanks for your time.

1. Three girls draw in the dirt with a simple stick. In the middle is a portrait of a faceless girl with pigtails, and the next masterpiece is underway.
138915452_a0d3067f58.jpg

2. Michael was quite amused with this orange plastic 'racket' for several minutes in which he kept making such faces towards the camera. Gotcha! :)
141120606_7a5bfdad3b.jpg

3. A quick glimpse at the camera before returning to play in the dry rice fields
135239224_1e795eb866.jpg

149590602_64120a5d68.jpg

5. I have never appreciated the playgrounds that are available to kids in America, Europe etc. after seeing this in the town of Chiang Saen which we brought the kids to before lunch. At least 1/3 of the crafted metal swings, teeter-totters (etc.) are broken, the ground is brick, and on one side, is a sharp rocky drop down to the banks of the Mekong River.
142090618_1dbcce740b.jpg

6.We all have memories of imaging ourselves being someone or something else. One can only imagine what Micah was thinking of here, as he emerged from the 'deep watery depths' of the pink wading pool.

156930992_f23160475c.jpg

7. Some might recall an earlier post of mine regarding a photo contest. Well here is the one I entered as well as the write-up along with it. (Just a warning, there is a reason I am not planning on persuing journalism ;))
There is so much that a child can tell us about ourselves.
Upon meeting Jordan, his mischievous grin and unwavering glance would never hint at hardships he has already faced. As eight other children play with sticks in a dry rice field behind him, Jordan’s interest is focused solely on the camera as he sees himself reflected through the lens and I as interested in my likeness in his enquiring eyes.
Riddled across his young complexion are the telltale signs of a boy who lives life to the fullest. Dirt collected during the morning’s walk caught in his hair, remnants of an enjoyed breakfast around his mouth.
There is a guideline in portrait photography that states that an eye should either be fully visible or not visible at all, as the eye is the window to one’s soul, but perhaps this guideline does not take into account the persona of a growing boy. Closer and closer he comes, wavering back and forth.
Click.
The fine details captured, as a moment later he reaches out and traces his image, laughing.

136671555_aad32d474b.jpg

I like 4 and 6 the best. I really like six. My eye is moving all over the image, but it a good way. It keeps finding interesting details to look at without being distracted by extranious stuff. What a great shot!

Yeah, 6 is my fav from the bunch as well.

wow #6 is VERY VERY nice.. I cant stop looking at it.. LOTs of detail, lots to look at.. I am looking trying to figure out what he is sooo frustrated? upset? worried? thinking? about... nice!

#6 really caught my eye as well. My only critique is that a lot of the shots (including #6) have some very BRIGHT areas that are kind of distracting.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It does seem that most people seem to prefer #6 over the others and I am starting to like it (a few thigns I wish were different).

AprilRamone: Thanks for the critique. I do see where there are certain blown out parts so I will have to edit those sometime soon, as well, I should probably calibrate my monitor sometime soon. I have a feeling most of them are due to converting to black and white and pushing the contrast a tad too much. Thanks:D

Peanuts said:
AprilRamone: Thanks for the critique. I do see where there are certain blown out parts so I will have to edit those sometime soon, as well, I should probably calibrate my monitor sometime soon. I have a feeling most of them are due to converting to black and white and pushing the contrast a tad too much. Thanks:D
I don't know. On my system, the end of his nose in #6 is a little blown, but overall the exposure and contrast looks good to me.

Yeh number 6 is a good shot, but I agree with markc about the nose. Maybe just needs a little bit of editing. For number one, I think it would have turned out better if it wasn't dark around the borders and if you would have stepped back a little farther, or if you didn't zoom in as much.

What a fantastic series. I agree, #6 is a great photo, but #3 is my favorite!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Regarding the first shot, I originally thought the same thing as you Cyrus and it was quite close to be put in the 'trash', but after converting to black and white I thought it helped to bring out the girls' intentions a tad bit more. About the borders, I will take that into consideration and try changing it, I can see where it would be too dark.

Since I posted this I actually edited an additional photo that came right before #6, which I am actually rather happy with. The contrast between Micah's scowl and his pure joy in this photo well... let's just say it is so him.

162192063_099f37488a.jpg

wow another great one, your photos are great. and again with everyone else. #6 is just incredable!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back