To be a dog photographer or not?

So, a lot of people who don't know anything about photography actually like my photos especially the nonprofit organizations. They even call me a professional photographer. Few years back, many of you slammed me real good. Those of you who remembered. I have not started my own bussines, yet. I still have my current job and thinking about having a part time job as dog photographer. I posted a few dog photos for critique. I got a few likes, and I think that is a good thing. However, people outside of the photo forum encourage me to start my own business as a dog photographer. What is your thought in this?

My thoughts are, if you believe that you truly are prepared to do so, have sufficient talent and enough business knowledge to do so then do so. Just don't be dog photographer, rather be a photographer that will shoot dogs if someone wants them to. One of the problems with so many people that want to start a photography business because they love photography these days is they see one niche, learn a little about it, start their business and get stuck in so many ways.

A photographer should be able to shoot just about anything competently. They will have their interests and or fields that they prefer to shoot. As with anything they will most likely excel in those preferred fields because the get more practice, but a well rounded photographer will have a much better chance in the business world than single focused person.

Good luck and don't keep any dog treats in your pocket.

So, a lot of people who don't know anything about photography actually like my photos especially the nonprofit organizations. They even call me a professional photographer. Few years back, many of you slammed me real good. Those of you who remembered. I have not started my own bussines, yet. I still have my current job and thinking about having a part time job as dog photographer. I posted a few dog photos for critique. I got a few likes, and I think that is a good thing. However, people outside of the photo forum encourage me to start my own business as a dog photographer. What is your thought in this?
I suggest starting a poll here and do what the majority polls...

That's how I make my best life choices.

I suggest starting a poll here and do what the majority polls...

That's how I make my best life choices.
Yeah, and we still haven't forgiven the guy that told you to go with that gray button down sweater as a turtleneck.

I once had a horse association as a client so I did a lot of horse photography. People love their animals and are anxious to have portraits of them. Try hooking up with a local kennel club.

So, a lot of people who don't know anything about photography actually like my photos especially the nonprofit organizations.
This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
just like a lot of people think that Orange is a great colour for a President.

Most people don't know the technical side of photography and think any picture taken of their pet is amazing. There are a lot of portrait photographers out there that call themselves professionals, but in reality, they aren't. You should be asking experienced photographers for C&C if you want to improve and step up your game, but you better have a thick skin. I've been slammed plenty of times, but I took the advice given and used it to improve.

I have some experience with dog photography (and no, that does not mean "I've taken pictures of some dogs and people liked them.") I also know a couple of photographers who do this (dog photography) as a profession. Here is my advice:

1. It is almost impossible to make a decent income just taking portraits of dogs. If you're going to be a dog photographer, you need to shoot a lot more than just portraits.
2. If you want to make enough money for the possibility of this being a profession, you need to get involved in canine sports. That means...shooting agility, fly-ball, nose works, barn hunt, and other formal competitions. So you're shooting a lot of action shots. If you don't know what these sports are, then you need to do a LOT more research. All of the canine photographers I know told me they got most of their portrait bookings from competitions where someone achieved something major (like their Masters title or a big Grand Prix win) and would pay for the action shots plus portraits to commemorate the special event. I used to compete (in agility and nose work). I never got any portraits done. But I got action shots of my dog in 5 different agility trials. So yes, canine photographers will make money selling portraits but they get those portraits by shooting competitions and they make most of their money (at least the ones I knew) from shooting competition/action shots of dogs.
3. Shooting competitions means being wired in to those sports and circuits, traveling on weekends (usually overnight). The three dog photographers I'm thinking of all have RVs or will pitch a tent (b/c most of these competitions run 2-3 days from sunrise to sunset or even midnight).

You should be asking experienced photographers for C&C if you want to improve and step up your game, but you better have a thick skin. I've been slammed plenty of times, but I took the advice given and used it to improve.

Few years back, I was just talk. It was amusing how members pissed off easily.:allteeth:

" Pissing people off " is not something you want on your resume if you intend on making a living from photography. Likeability would serve you better.

2. If you want to make enough money for the possibility of this being a profession, you need to get involved

Even if it's just to get the shot one should be involved. In almost any kind of action sport foreknowledge is a key element, it help in the timing of what's to come. ( my opinion )

As mentioned earlier in this thread, making a profit is critical to the existence of a business. In my opinion, making a career of dog photography or any other kind of photography is perhaps 50% photographic knowledge and skills and 50% business skills and savvy.

Like countless others before me, I've been told I should go into business taking pictures. Only thing, 35 years ago I started my own business as a mainframe computer consultant and struggled just to have enough to eat. It didn't hurt that I had a couple of semesters of college level accounting under my belt, either. Two deadbeat non-paying customers that I had significant out-of-pocket expenses for sunk my company...sunk me, too...I lost everything but my car, computer, and furniture. I had no choice but to go back to working for a contracting firm. Perhaps the biggest lesson I learned was that marketing skills are far more important than technical skills, and even business skills. I didn't have the money to hire any sales staff, and my 'business' was mostly due to my previously established reputation as a programmer/analyst.

While it may seem like a good idea to be able to 'write off' expenses like a new lens, or a faster computer for editing your photos, they are all a part of a total business budget that includes everything from equipment costs to supplies to keeping the IRS happy. Oh...getting PAID is a major issue, too!

It's hard to believe it's been 4.5 years already, but perhaps the best treatise I've found on making a business out of photography was written by a former TPF member, mleek (whatever happened to her?). I bookmarked the thread and present it here. Finding your CODB and your hourly rate... Read it and consider all your costs.

Great reference information. Another take on that is doing a formal BUSINESS PLAN. The data gathered in mleeks post all becomes part of the Business Plan.
The folks that fail are frequently those that do a Business Plan and then don't trust the plan. If you do the Plan well and it says the business is not viable THEN THE BUSINESS IS NOT VIABLE as planned.

People do get attracted to animals like cat, dogs, etc.. a great deal and it shows from the fact that many of the top notch organizations use pictures, videos ad GIF's of animals to go Viral

So i guess you should go ahead with it. It will help you out a great deal :) Hope it helps!

My thought is that you seem like you want to do it so you should! Everyone has their critics. While I wouldn't advise giving up another job to pursue this...being a part time thing could allow you some time to experiment with how successful this endeavor may or may not be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back