To be fair to myself..

What exactly do you want people to tell you in this thread if you "know" they suck.

Read the post- It's in there.. Gesh, some people read less than me. At least I admit my user manual that came with the camera confuses me.. What excuse do you few have for bashing me on without reading.

I think you may need to learn more about exposure. Learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO
- The book "Understanding Exposure" should help.

Learn how to post process your photo. First just focus on how to increase the contrast of the photos. How to boost the color saturation. Play around with the curve or level.

Learn about metering and different metering modes in your camera.

By the way, one of the reason why those point and shoot picture looks better, it is because the point and shoot camera did a lot of post process for you (within the camera). With your newer camera, you just need to do the post process with your photo editing software. (You control what need do be done on the photos instead of let the camera control)

i hope you werent being serious about the 7d being a crappy camera. one thing i hate is people relying on their equipment. whether its equipment = skill or equipment = fault for photo... it bugs me. you're saying you want to learn, but it doesnt seem like you're putting effort into learning... all your threads end up with people telling you to read the manual or learning how to use your camera. learn how to use it before you blame your faults on the camera.

yup i'm being harsh, but it bugs me lots when people blame their equipment. sorry if you were joking!
PC, I was kidding. It just bugs me when people pipe in with their 2 cents and CLEARLY they didn't bother to read the post.

I like my camera- I will like it more when I know how it works.

I think you may need to learn more about exposure. Learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO
- The book "Understanding Exposure" should help.

Learn how to post process your photo. First just focus on how to increase the contrast of the photos. How to boost the color saturation. Play around with the curve or level.

Learn about metering and different metering modes in your camera.

By the way, one of the reason why those point and shoot picture looks better, it is because the point and shoot camera did a lot of post process for you (within the camera). With your newer camera, you just need to do the post process with your photo editing software. (You control what need do be done on the photos instead of let the camera control)

Thank you..

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Image Date: 2009:12:29 12:55:23
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 18.0mm
CCD Width: 23.04mm
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

What exactly do you want people to tell you in this thread if you "know" they suck.

Read the post- It's in there.. Gesh, some people read less than me. At least I admit my user manual that came with the camera confuses me.. What excuse do you few have for bashing me on without reading.

I really dont think I am bashing you but ok. You keep getting the same good advice in numerous threads as far as I can tell. I think you need to take some of those suggestions and read the books reccomended.

DH,

Forgive me if I have "beat this horse".. I do keep getting great sound advice. Have you noticed (and this may be a NEWS FLASH for ya, )-- I am doing something wrong? I am not getting it, perhaps the light bulb isn't going on.. I am just not getting it yet.. So, thank you.. sorry I wasted your time. Block me... please.

Let me be fair to all of you that are giving me good C&C.. Thank you. I am listening.. I will get it.. I just take a little more time than most people.. But believe me when I tell you, once the light goes on.. I am magic! = )

...once the light goes on.. I am magic! = )

I'd make a comment something along the lines of when the lights go out, but that would be very, very wrong. :sexywink:

Folks, this woman has been thrust into "real" photography, or should I say photography with a "real" camera more or less against her will. I have seen so much information thrown at her, I am sure it is overwhelming. Maybe somebody should offer to mentor her. Start out slow, cover one camera feature at a time...get her light to go on, one element at a time.

Part of the problem seems to be that she approaches her new camera like the point and shoot. For quick grabs here and there. While most of us may put some time and thinking into what we shoot. She may not want to. She may want to get some better images of here children, her vacations, and other events. Start with the very basics. She has been messing with aperture and ISO and not understanding what exactly they do, and how they relate to the final image. I think we need to help her understand one part of the trilogy at a time.

Further, Mostly Sunny, you need to find a book that will help you understand your camera. The 7d is new, so I am not sure if David Busch has put out a dummy book for it yet. I don't know how the 7d is layed out in relation to a 40d, 50d, or whatever it is comparable to to reccomend a book for it. Manuals that come with camera are far too clinical and straight forward for someone so new to really "get". I reccomend Digital Photography for Dummies. It's a good book, and presents the information well in a light hearted easy to follow manner.

Last edited:
Well said Bitter!

Sunny, I feel your pain. It's frustrating to realize that the bigger, and better cameras show our weakness in photography where the little P&S ones told us otherwise.

As stated, pick up the book Understanding Exposure. Focus in understanding what shutter speed, and aperture mean to each other. Learn how to set the shutter and aperture on your camera.

Learn to compose, frame your subject properly. And in my opinion, worry about post processing later.

...once the light goes on.. I am magic! = )

I'd make a comment something along the lines of when the lights go out, but that would be very, very wrong. :sexywink:

Folks, this woman has been thrust into "real" photography, or should I say photography with a "real" camera more or less against her will. I have seen so much information thrown at her, I am sure it is overwhelming. Maybe somebody should offer to mentor her. Start out slow, cover one camera feature at a time...get her light to go on, one element at a time.

Part of the problem seems to be that she approaches her new camera like the point and shoot. For quick grabs here and there. While most of us may put some time and thinking into what we shoot. She may not want to. She may want to get some better images of here children, her vacations, and other events. Start with the very basics. She has been messing with aperture and ISO and not understanding what exactly they do, and how they relate to the final image. I think we need to help her understand one part of the trilogy at a time.

Further, Mostly Sunny, you need to find a book that will help you understand your camera. The 7d is new, so I am not sure if David Busch has put out a dummy book for it yet. I don't know how the 7d is layed out in relation to a 40d, 50d, or whatever it is comparable to to reccomend a book for it. Manuals that come with camera are far too clinical and straight forward for someone so new to really "get". I reccomend Digital Photography for Dummies. It's a good book, and presents the information well in a light hearted easy to follow manner.
:lol::thumbup:

Sunny, I would say that I could help you through setting up a shot, but I'm not 100% familiar with Canons or their settings.
BUT if we are online at the same time, with an hour or so to kill, I could show you some basics involving the 3 keys to an exposure; Aperture, Shutter speed, and ISO... THen others I am sure can build onto that.

I'm new to the photo thing myself so take this for what it's worth.

While you're waiting for the proverbial light to shine, set the camera in aperture priority mode and shoot away. Experiment with the different aperture settings to see what you like in different situations. The camera will only let you change aperture, it controls everything else so it's a good way to get started in controlling the camera but not all at once.

Domin, Thank you!!

Just please everyone please stop with the...:raisedbrow::crazy: That was taken with a 7D-- That does nothing for me.

While I say that- I laugh. I have thick skin, and I LOVE to joke around. So, well, why it may seem to bother me.. I do at times get a good laugh and think to myself.. They are sooo right!

Most reactions

Back