to buy or not to buy? a second hand EOS d5

CheckMate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am considering buying a dSLR and one of particular interest to me is the canon d5. I have found out that if i buy a second hand one i could save several hundred pounds, but what are the chances that it will have a defect?
are there any common defects found in d5s after a years service? should i make sure it has been serviced and refurbished and should i expect a guarantee (i would be buying it second hand through a dealer)? what sort of things should i look out for when looking at the camera and how should i test it to make sure it is in perfect working order? what are the benefits of buying a new d5? also when is cannon expected to release its next generation of the d5 camera? and will a d5 retain its value when the next generation is released, how much might i get trading it in for an upgrade?

thanks,

I would not buy a used 5D. 5D's are professional bodies usually used by professionals themselves. Chances are you'd be buying a used and abused body with the shutter activated a million times.

when a mark II comes out, this always means a drop in price for the first version. that is just, however, it's price in the shops, it does not mean its value for you personally will drop ;)

I disagree on the 5D bein a pro camera only, there will be 5Ds around which have not been used alot. also its shutter is built more sturdy than that of an XT(i).

replacing a shutter might cost you about 200 USD I would guess.

as for common problems, not sure, but mine had a problem with the shutter release button after 6000 exposures, which has been fixed now.

any guarantee on the used one?

I'd still be REAL hesitant on buying a used body.

I dunno, it's just some stupid psychological thing i've got. The only way I can buy something used is if i've seen it in action and have used that particular thing myself.

I'd still be REAL hesitant on buying a used body.

I dunno, it's just some stupid psychological thing i've got. The only way I can buy something used is if i've seen it in action and have used that particular thing myself.

well, if you say this in a generalised way for camera bodies, yes, I share this problem ;)

you never really know what you get. but chances might not be too bad that it is ok

i bought my 5D used from Ebay. It was from the official Canon outlet and it comes with all the original packaging, cables cd roms etc. It also came with a full manufacturer's warranty.
The only thing i didn't get was the £200 rebate that Canon offered on 5D cameras at the time.

In other words i got a used camera for a used price but everything else was exactly the same as brand new one, but for a few hundred pounds less on the price.

That was back in August 2006. I've posted a few images here, took it to NYC, have images on my site and have taken hundreds more that haven't been shown anywhere. Not sure how many times i've fired it but it's a few thousand anyway.

I wouldn't say a definite "NO" to a used camera but for me to buy used then everything has to be just right. Do your research and be careful and good bragains can be had.

I would say that the risk of buying used somehow increases with digital. And specially when it implies a significant amount of money.

for serious buying as the one you're planing I would really try to get some kind of guarantee. that being said, I do would consider buying used

Most reactions

Back