To much light

remedyz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to photography I have a point and shoot at the moment but a canon rebel xs is on the way. I mainly take scenery photos being as there's a lot of that around my area. I've had a problem with the white balance in many of my pictures due the the lack of a shady area or clouds here. I was wondering if a lens hood would be a good investment for me. Thanks!

p.s. I tried to change the exposure of the camera and it either came out "bleached" or really dark.

Thanks again

Search for filters. A ND (neutral density) or CPOL (circular polarizing) filter should help you.

these will mount onto your DSLR's lens, you can use them with your point and shoot but you will need to hold them in front of the lens.

p!nK

What website is best in your opinion for photography accessories and such?

B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon.....

p!nk

I'm somewhat new to photography I have a point and shoot at the moment but a canon rebel xs is on the way. I mainly take scenery photos being as there's a lot of that around my area. I've had a problem with the white balance in many of my pictures due the the lack of a shady area or clouds here. I was wondering if a lens hood would be a good investment for me. Thanks!

p.s. I tried to change the exposure of the camera and it either came out "bleached" or really dark.

Thanks again

White balance has to do with the color temperature. Sounds like you're talking about dynamics of the ambient light.

White balance has to do with the color temperature. Sounds like you're talking about dynamics of the ambient light.

Im still new at this so Im not sure what the color temperature or the dynamics of the ambient light mean? lol

Im still new at this so Im not sure what the color temperature or the dynamics of the ambient light mean? lol

Wikipedia could give you a decent explanation.

White balance is basically the hue of the light source. Although lights may appear to be white, they're not all necessarily daylight white. White that we think of is usually about 5600K, iirc. (measured on the Kelvin scale) That's white sunlight. If you took a photo outside which your white balance set to daylight, white should look white. If you move inside with the white balance on the camera set to daylight, a typical incandescent bulb will give an overall orange color to the photo. White will turn up looking orange and the overall hue of the photo will have an orange tint to it. To fix this, you would adjust the white balance in your camera to match the incandescent lights. The adjustments would have the next photo taken under incandescent lights to look white instead of orange.

White balance should be set to automatic by default, but the problem with auto white balance is that it's adjustment range is set fairly narrow and won't cover light temperatures outside of that range.

Dynamic = change. The range of the exposure in the photo. If you take a photo outside, during the day while the sun is up, the sky is usually the brightest, the rest of the photo not in the shade will be darker and then everything in the shadows will be the darkest. There's other options to fix this. Filters, HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography, etc...

Most reactions

Back