To people who sometimes do zoo photography

I didn't make it to the zoo but I did visit the "Wild Animal Park' last year. It was fairly crowded but still a pretty good experience.

I went to some place in So. Cal. with "Safari" in the name (Safari Land or Safari World - I forget) back in the 60's. There was one other family there and no one else. There were no animals either tho. :( We paid like $15 a ticket (that's like $60 these days) for a ride around a loop in a BIG field in an International with zebra stripes painted on the side of it - with no air conditioning. :D We didn't even see a sparrow - seriously.

I know they're not like that these days and have people that actually know when to do the tours and how to manage the animals but I thought I would relate that little story. :D

I went to some place in So. Cal. with "Safari" in the name (Safari Land or Safari World - I forget) back in the 60's. There was one other family there and no one else. There were no animals either tho. :( We paid like $15 a ticket (that's like $60 these days) for a ride around a loop in a BIG field in an International with zebra stripes painted on the side of it - with no air conditioning. :D We didn't even see a sparrow - seriously.

I know they're not like that these days and have people that actually know when to do the tours and how to manage the animals but I thought I would relate that little story. :D
I have had trips like that at the Toronto zoo. All the animals are hiding. I always feel sorry for the people that drop $8.00 for parking and $20.00 at the door to get in. Can you imagine a family of 5 going in? Best thing to do is get the zoo pass. Here if you go twice you have made up the difference. Im on trip .......oh....24 or so. :lol::lol:

yah I you have a zoo near you and you plan on going more than twice in a year definatly get the annual pass - far cheaper and you can get some extras too!

Oh and one more tip given to my by another (never tried it out myself, never got their early enough) is to firstly print out a little card with your name, contact details and website and then when you are their one time speak to management (or phoneup) and see if you can get early morning access - most zoos don't open till late but they have staff on early inthe morning - with camera and website examples they might let you in early (the worst they will ask for is a copy of your work for their free use)

With my 1st two grandkids we went to the zoo every monday morning. We'd take a quick trip around a plotted path and name as many as we could - took us about an hour. But it was $1.50 for adults and kids under 16 were free. The same zoo is now still only $2.50 for adults and kids under 16 are also still free.

it can be up to £17 for an adult and £13 for a child - with annual membership at £50 its really worth it --

I've only been to one zoo since I got my camera and I took my D300 and Nikon 200-400mm f/4 with a monopod. It didn't pose any problems. And people did get out of my way without me even asking or hinting towards them doing so, which was a nice benefit.

I think I might go to my local zoo/animal preserve soon. Thanks guys.

Well Ive never been to any public crowded places as such. Ive been to the race track and I still have a hard time finding a spot before the big race :p Everyone goes against the railing...

Anywho, Ive been to the zoo once in my life!

Last time I went I took my Sigma 100-300mm f4 (51oz 8.9 X 3.6" not including the lens hood), Teleconverters, and my Bogen 3021 heavy tripod. Worked great and no one hassled me (a couple of comments like : wow, that is some sized camera")

Now that my youngest is in school all day, I can't wait to go to the zoo. It's a hassle trying to take pictures with the kids there, especially in the summer when there's a thousand other people there. I'm going to bring my tripod when I go and hopefully get some decent shots for once! At the zoo I usually keep my 70-300mm on the camera most of the time since the animals are rarely very close.

The last time I went to the zoo - I had the 75-300 on the whole time made it way easier to get close up shots if the animals were far away - I did miss a couple of shots though I wanted cause the zoom was just way too much on 75mm but I didnt have the time or chance to change lens.

Most reactions

Back