To post-edit or not...

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh, I knew no one is ever reading any of my posts... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok, Ok, OK!!!! It was a really long, tiring, busy, C%$@& day at work, came home to a sick wife an I probably (defined as definaltely) skimmed some of the responses. My bad and I will admit when I am wrong, I was wrong, some of you mentioned Film. (bless you died in the wool ole' time shutter bugs) :pale::blackeye::oops:

It is the way it was done with film, where (unless you did all of your own printing) you pretty well got what you shot... and the vast majority of people who were photographers didn't do their own color printing since it is both tricky and the equipment was VERY expensive.

I couldn't even do my own developing - I used Kodachrome pretty much exclusively.

(Obviously, I didn't do portraits.)

Too many people are speaking from the point of view of having a very limited photographic eye for detail, colour and lighting. The general consensus from top digital photographers is that all digital photos require postprocessing. That is beyond question. All photos require colour correction and all photos need work to improve the tonal range.

Too many photographers accept learning from newbies in photographic technique but forget that postprocessing needs to be learned as well. What some consider overprocessed is really a beginner in postprocessing with a too heavy approach to adjustments. It is not postprocessing that is the problem but rather the less than expert approach to doing it.

An inexperience viewer is also sometimes part of the problem. Bright or vibrant colours does not necessarily mean over-saturation in Photoshop. Pick the right time of the day, perhaps a filter and the right weather in a humid climate and you are likely going to see bright greens, vivid reds, dark blues etc. with no postprocessing whatsoever.

A lot of posted photos I view, would not be accepted in a professional market because of the lack of basic postprocessing and that includes a very large percentage of portraits. It is a good thing that some are sold to members of the general public who do not have a eye for quality work. If that were not the case, there would be a lot more "starving artists" out on the street.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back