To splurge or not to splurge...

michaelpohl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to start upgrading lenses for a while but my budget isn't huge. I really want to try and only upgrade to f2.8 or better, but that always has a price haha. I've been looking around for something in the 10-100mm range (meaning starting and stoping anywhere in between) and I found the Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 (TAMRON 28-75MM F 2.8 XR ASPHERICAL MACRO DI IF LD A09 LENS FOR CANON EF MOUNT 67 - KEH Camera and it's been on my list for a while. I've finally got a little bit of extra cash and I figured with getting that 7D I'd want to get a new lens to... The problem is my budget is low and I stumbled across the Canon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 EF (Used Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f 3.5-4.5 EF B H and it's $100 and the reviews are good on it... I'd love it if you guys could help me decide. Any feedback? Thanks

I think thise lenses are more aimed at the full frame sensor market, as the 28-70mm is an awkward focal length on a crop sensor camera. Sigma do a 17-70mm OS f2.8-4 which might be worth a look.

What is your budget and what do you intend to use it for?

I have to agree....28-70,28-80 on 1.5x, I have owned both in Tokina ATX-Pro f/2.6~2.8 and straight 2.8 max aperture versions, and the price and weight and size is lower than the camera maker high-grade lenses, and the same is true of the Tamron (reasonably small and light), the focal length ranges here make these a bit awkward on crop-frame bodies...these lenses become sort of a liability indoors; 28mm is simply too LONG on a 1.6x camera in many indoor places.

OUTDOORS, this is not nearly the case. But still...that 28mm x 1.6 factor comes into play often enough that you will be changing lenses often in many situations...

I think I would follow weepete's suggestion, and consider a 17- or 18-mm bottom end starting focal length range for a 1.6x camera.

So my budget is around $300 but if it's really worth it I could stretch to $400-$500, it'll just have to wait another month or so (If the funds end up staying in my account haha). I'd definitely prefer something with a constant aperture, hopefully a f2.8 but I could handle an f4 or lower. As far as focal ranges, I'm definitely not opposed to anything wider, but I find that the widest I ever go is about 28-35mm (yes I do have wider available, I just don't use it), so I wasn't super concerned about that there. This lens will probably be used mostly for outdoor events, maybe some indoor events (which I cover with my 50mm 1.8 usually so I'm not concerned there), and a general walk around lens. I'd like to get it before the end of June, I'm going on vacation and would like to have it. The big thing is I'd like to start building up constant aperture lenses, lower aperture lenses, and EF mounts because I'd still love to go full frame someday. And thanks for all thee feedback, I'm just looking for opinions, reviews, and maybe you guys know of a gem or two that I haven't come across haha.

Most reactions

Back