Toasteed my flash - Looking to replace considering SB600/SB800/YN565ex

personalt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Toasted my SB600 this morning trying to change the bulb
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-i-buy-pcb-boards-should-i-cut-my-losses.html

I bought the SB600 back in febuary used. At the time I was also looking at the YN-565-EX but decided on the used (now toast) SB600. I was thinking about going with the YN this time around since buying a flash wasnt in my budget but the last thing I want to do is have to buy a third flash in 6 months.

Is there any reason to not get the YN-565ex? I am using a D80. I have not advanced to using off camera flashes but expect to within the next year. If I recall the SB600 cant be the commander to other flashes but I think the D80 can be the master. (honestly I know very little about this, I did some research back in Febuary but I forgot most of it since)... If the d80 can be the master is there any advantage to any of these flashes?

Possible choices...
Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon - NEW $150 AMAZON/EBAY

EBAY - USED - SB600 $200-$225

EBAY - USED - SB700 $260 (might as well get new)
EBAY - NEW - SB700 $300

EBAY - USED - SB800 $250-260 AVERAGE CHEAPEST -
EBAY - USED - SB800 $275 BIN

EBAY - USED - SB900 CHEAPEST SOLD $330-$375
Roberts Camera - Nikon Refurb - SB900 $389

Last edited:
Been very happy with our sb-700 and it has commander mode.

Can someone explain why i need commander mode in the flash itself? By commander mode I assume you mean it can be the master in the Nikon creative lighting system?

I have not started to play around with using off camera flashes but hope to soon. Is it correct that the master flash needs to be attached to the camera? If so, what is the benifit to having the SB700/SB800/SB900 on camera rather then using the pop up flash as a trigger and using SB700/SB800/SB900 off camera? I am sure there is a good reason but to the novice it seems like using the pop up flash as the trigger allows me to us my good flash as the first off camera/remote flash in my system rather then anchoring it to the camera..

What am I missing? I must be missing something as this is not the first time I have seen the fact that the flash being able to act as a master as being listed as valuable feature.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/users-guide/menus-custom.htm

Ken explains how to set up the D80 in commander mode with the pop up flash, and links to his pages on setting up the sb600 and sb800 flashes. The sb700 is a lot easier than the sb600 (better menu controls) we have a 700 and 600 and like the 700 a lot better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back