Todays Meanderings

Reaction score
Didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, but I had my camera along for the trip. I gotta really good shot (or I think it is LOL) of a spider......
2006-08-14-018-Writin-Spide.jpg

Then onto the barn, where there are lots of nifty old things...cars, buggies, trucks, tractors....and very little light so some of my photo's didn't turn out.
2006-08-14-021-Buick.jpg

2006-08-14-025-Cadillac.jpg

2006-08-14-027-Buggy.jpg

And one lone hayring in the wide open sea of grass....
2006-08-14-001-lone-hayring.jpg

The spider in its web is really nice. Focus is perfect.

Unfortunately, all photos here seem to hover on the brink of overexposure and the pics from inside the barn don't suggest any more AT ALL that there was very low light with parts of your pics from in there actually been all blown out.

But I believe it is a place full of photo opportunities ... you might want to go there more often.

What do you mean by all blown out....? the white areas...or the areas that have too much light? Really wierd lighting in the barn, bottom half of everything was in very low light, the sides of the barn are open so there was light at the top of things. Don't know how to discribe it. The first car picture was taken using the flash, the second one of the cadillac was closer to the outside of the barn and no flash was used. The buggy was way off in the middle of the barn, lower half of it was near total darkness when I took the photo.
You say over exposure. Is that possible with a point and shoot digital?

Yes, I think it is possible with a p+s digital. When there is too much light, then there is too much light.
And "blown out" (so I learned here on TPF, the expression was none of my active English vocabulary before I joined myself, either) does mean those parts of a photo that are so white and bright that there is nothing else to be seen anymore. Just white. Like the backside part of the spider where its patterns get all lost, you see what I mean?

I am too unfamiliar with very p+s little cameras, but I would think they should have several different options, too? (My little digital is a Canon Powershot and I can use that one in fully manual mode if I want to, or fully automatic, and anything in between). So there should be a means to take an influence on exposure? Others who know more about cameras might know better.

But sometimes, if the lighting situations are very difficult, it only helps to either change ones point of view or to move closer in onto the subject and thus exclude some of the unwanted part that would otherwise get into the frame (like very bright backgrounds when the subject is in the dark) ... those are my spontaneous thoughts right now. I am a bit spoilt with my cameras, maybe.....

the only thing that bothers me in the first one is... spider... no no... not the spider itself... (well ok.. a bit - I hate them), but the blown out part of it. you lost the details on the spider - there was too much light on it. the rest are nice :) but I think that the 3rd one would be perfect in black and white and bumped contrast :D

Ok.....same spider different angle, lost the web affect, but the spiders colors are a whole lot more vibrant in this shot.
2006-08-14-spider-framed.jpg

I did the Cadillac in Black and white, and bumped the contrast a tad.....I like it better this way as well.
2006-08-14-025-Cadillac-BW.jpg

2006-08-14-Buggy-BW.jpg

The buggy even looks better cropped just a tad and turned black and white, with the brightness turned down and contrast bumped up. Thanks for suggestions. I've been taking photo's for a long long time, but never really had anyone to critique them until now. Helps a whole lot when you have a source for suggestions to make things better.

I did some stuff in photoshop after I saw the other picture of the same spider. I thought I'd give it a try and make it a photoshop challenge for my self. I couldn't change much with contrast, brightness and curving and stuff so I decided to paint his body my way. I think I like it, hope you do as well:)

2006-08-14-018-Writin-Spide.jpg

Shhh, HollandHusker ... we have this silent agreement here on TPF not to edit other members' pics until they have given their ok (or state "OTE" in their sigs or underneath a particular pic), so before you really post an edit that you made without the other member's permission you better PM that member first and ask. OK? Therefore I changed your pic back to a link, and as soon as the_jersey_lilly says it's ok, we can change it back, right? (But I must say I really LIKE what you did about that spider pic!!! ;))

That Looks good. I played somemore with the color burn tool.....it helped alot with the brightness of his behind. But not enuff that I'd call it "fixed" LOL

:D oh it was fine what he did with my photo. You can put it back up. It amazes me the things that can be done with photo shop. I've been playin with it for years, and still learn new stuff all the time. I just wish he'd posted a bigger picture so I could see the spiders behind closer.

Whod'a thunk it!!!! detailin a spider behind......what a way to spend a mornin. LOL

OK, pic back up. Now that you said you are ok with an edit, I can put it back up.

And the small size is probably thanks to Photobucket who downsized it as they wanted ... not always going with what their users want... :( That is Photobucket for you.

I'm sorry neighbor, I would PM first next time, I just couldn't resist. And you are right about photobucket, have no idea what to do, some pictures of mine turn out HUGE, others to small...

Most reactions

Back