WimFoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wimfotocards.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
tokina 11-16 f2.8

another lens i am researching for my canon 20d.
i would like to hear about your experience with this lens. please share.

thanks,
wim

Last edited:
Solidly built lens. More in line with good Nikon and Canon lenses. Tokina seems to average on the soft side though. And the 11-16 is a bit soft especially at 2.8. The zoom range is failry limited. But with my lenses it fit in fairly well. I have it in Nikon flavor and am happy with the purchase. The softness wide open is not bad, but there. Not enough for me to return it when I first got it. Even a couple of my Nikon f/2.8's are a tad soft wide open. Even though its more than the others in the range. I think from its build quality its worth it.

tokina 11-16 f2.8

another lens i am researching for my canon 20d.
i would like to hear about your experience with this lens. please share.

thanks,
wim

Any reason you are considering it above the equally lovely 12-24 F/4?

+ 1 on the 12-24 f/4 (Nikon). Good used copies are readily available. I recently looked one over for another photographer that came from B&H's used department. It looked brand new, but was sold as used, grade 9, a savings of $300.

I'm a huge fan of the 11-16 2.8. Personally I usually shoot it at 11mm. Its great for shooting concerts from close to the stage. The perspective is very cool because you can get shots that give you the feel of being in the audience. The build quality is solid, and the image quality is great, being able to shoot at 2.8 makes a big difference to me as well.

I'm a huge fan of the 11-16 2.8. Personally I usually shoot it at 11mm. Its great for shooting concerts from close to the stage. The perspective is very cool because you can get shots that give you the feel of being in the audience. The build quality is solid, and the image quality is great, being able to shoot at 2.8 makes a big difference to me as well.

i'll think i'll pick it up soon. behasajeep mentioned that at 2.8 it's a tad soft.
how do you experience that?

i picked it up yesterday and did some dusk photography around the hill in ottawa,
both of these at 11mm. and no pp.

IMG_8853.jpg

IMG_8847.jpg

Yay! Very cool. I really want to get mine soon.

IF you get a good copy, you will be blessed with sharpness and joy beyond belief. . .at 2.8, it's SHARP as a tack at the center. . .but corners (if you are pixel peeping) are slighly soft. . .by 3.2 (1 stop above), it's sharpened up considerably, and by 4.0, negligible. . .

But I had to go through 3 copies total, 2 of which I returned directly back to adorama. Third was purchased through JR.

IF you get a good copy, you will be blessed with sharpness and joy beyond belief. . .at 2.8, it's SHARP as a tack at the center. . .but corners (if you are pixel peeping) are slighly soft. . .by 3.2 (1 stop above), it's sharpened up considerably, and by 4.0, negligible. . .

But I had to go through 3 copies total, 2 of which I returned directly back to adorama. Third was purchased through JR.

what do you think of the shots i posted ^ ?
they seem soft at the edges. do you think i should get another copy?

thanks,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back