Tokina 12-24mm Busted

Nekoism

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone I was hoping you could help me with a problem.

I work for an architectural firm and 3 months ago they purchased a Tokina 12-24mm wide-angle lens for use in photographing their finished projects. The camera is a Nikon D2Xs.

Yesterday I was out using the lens and found that the focus ring dosen't work. It can turn fine but the window display that shows the distance dosen't move nor does it focus in the viewfinder. It DOES focus using the camera's auto-focus function, but it gets stuck (by stuck I mean no photo) when I use it outdoors trying to fit the whole building in the shot.

It WON'T let me take the photo when auto focus is on and the object is out of focus but if I switch to manual it does shoot, but the photo comes out blurry. The blur isn't the worst and is manageable using photoshop but a broken lens is a broken lens.

So my question is this who can I talk to about getting it fixed. It was ordered from BH, but that was 3 months ago.

In case any one is wondering I'm not the go to guy for photography just when the photos are needed immediately. I don't use this lens very often.

Other than the focus problem this lens is very nice and takes really good photos.

Thanks!

Sounds like it may have been dropped resulting in the focus guide, or some other internal part, breaking and jambing up the works. Take it to a reputable repair depot, or back to B&H for repair. You could alos send it to Tokina direct I guess.

Please note that I am no lense expert, so take it in for a check up. They should give you a free estimate. You could also try getting it repaired under warranty.

open your phone book and start calling repair shops. If you can't find any of those, call a camera store and they'll be able to refer you somewhere.

In the meantime, the lens isn't COMPLETELY useless. Since 12-18mm is wide, what you can do is focus as much to infinity as you can, and only shoot stopped down to f/22 or whatever your minimum aperture is. At 12mm-18mm, You should be able to carry enough depth of field to still have everything in focus.

EDIT: if you work for an architectural firm, and are obviously shooting architecture, why aren't you using tilt-shift lenses or view cameras?

Have it repaired under Warranty. Tokina is a reputable manufacturer, and their equipment carries at least a 1-year warranty.

Thanks for all the replies I am going to try BH first then Tokina. Hopefully something comes of it.

As for the tilt-shift/view camera, I have no clue why they don't use either of those. I would love to operate a view camera but they are happy with the results they are currently getting and are somewhat stubborn to change what works for them. They just upgraded to the D2Xs from a Coolpix 8700!!!

They also have a freelance photographer that they have used for a long time and he shoots with a Canon Mark II.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back