Tokina 14-20mm f/2

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tokina seems to be coming out with this new lens and it seems to be overlooked. link

Last edited:
I was reading a bit about it. I still shoot crop so it is something I have to look at vs the other Tokina offerings, that f/1.8 Sigma, and of course a handful of Nikon primes (and I'm not expecting Nikon to make any crop factor specific wide angle primes).

Thinking as a lens that would cover basically 20-35mm range in FF sounds kind of good to me. On film I often went with a 28mm as the compromise in that range and is something I like for indoor events. With f/2 at 12 feet at 16mm on the crop body gives almost 8 feet for DOF.

I have a difficult time with ultra-wides on any camera so I might find this more useful than their 11-20 f/2.8 that I tried out last July. I really liked the extra range from 16 to 20mm that the 11-16mm did not have. Right now I basically pull out the kit lens when I want 18mm - and in that case limited to f/3.5 (I have the 18-70 and it is almost impossible to zoom from 18 to 20mm as it is about the distance of a cat whisker).

The images are pretty damn sharp and there is no trace of chromatic aberration as opposed to my old 11-16. This lens has become interesting. But then scrolling down a bit there is a picture of a building covered in that climbing vine thingies. Now that image is wide open at 14mm, it is pretty soft when compared to the image of the typewriter.

Last edited:
It really should have been a full frame lens...

Probabaly a kind of niche lens. Huge apertures aren't generally as important at such wide angles but nice to see something different and you can be sure this lens is exactly what some one was asking for

I have done some video shooting with the tokina 11-16 2.8. I was always finding myself the need for more light, this extra stop of light is pretty neat for that to get cleaner footage.

Agree, a great video lens, but for pics, I'd get the 11-20 2.8, which I actually did recently.
The 11-16 was too small of a range, and I wish the new one was 10-20 since i used the Canon 10-20
and Tamron 10-24 a lot before, that 1mm is A LOT more on the wide end.

Even if people dont really care, there is no other lens that shoots at f2 from 14-17 at least. My 18-35 1.8 is an amazing lens, but even that one comes off long when i need that extra space to get my shot.

A lot of people judge stuff then never even saw or tried, or judge the whole brand based on using
one of their products X years ago. Then there's folks that will buy only the L glass because they know
it's the best (never tried anything else) and look down on everything else.

Either of those closed minded folks really have no reason to be on any photography related forums
since they already 'know everything'. But you gotta brag somewhere, so.. o_O

Maybe a forum on the subject is not the best place for you then?
Forum ?!? This is a single thread, not a whole forum.

He asked why nobody talks about this lens. I figured it wont hurt to answer.

A lot of people judge stuff then never even saw or tried,
Actually I only pointed out it didnt interest me. Its a pure Nikon DX (and Canon EF-S) lens and I dont even have a DX camera anymore.

By DX did you mean small form factor?

Maybe a forum on the subject is not the best place for you then?
Forum ?!? This is a single thread, not a whole forum.

He asked why nobody talks about this lens. I figured it wont hurt to answer.

A lot of people judge stuff then never even saw or tried,
Actually I only pointed out it didnt interest me. Its a pure Nikon DX (and Canon EF-S) lens and I dont even have a DX camera anymore.

Do you go to all threads where the subject is of no interest to you and leave the comment in there that you're not interested in what they're talking about?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back