Tone Adjustment for HDR in P'shop

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen some really great examples of HDR on the forum (v impressed). :thumbup:

Can anyone give me any pointers about the critical stage of 'tonal adjustment' for creating HDR images in photoshop.
- How to do it
- What kind of things should I be changing
- What's best to do
- What to avoid

Sorry to sound like an uber-n00b...:blushing::blushing::blushing:

TIA :thumbup:

You just do everything default
then you go to "image> mode> 8 bit
Then you can adjust the curve until it looks how you want. I think it's the last option in the listbox that lets you do it.

you'll see what I mean.

From what I've used of Photoshop's HDR's it doesn't appear to give you as much freedom of control as Photomatix: http://www.hdrsoft.com/.

I prefer Photoshop HDR for more natural looking images and Photomatix when I want something more surreal.

You just do everything default
then you go to "image> mode> 8 bit
Then you can adjust the curve until it looks how you want. I think it's the last option in the listbox that lets you do it.

you'll see what I mean.

NO! I highly suggest going to 16bit to tonemap, and dropping down to 8bit AFTER you have done your adjustments.

There's no real answer to this. One method I use for tone control is duplicate the layer and change blending mode to overlay, curves, levels, contrast/brightness, channel mixer, all work too. There's countless other ways too.

Most reactions

Back