Too close to the track?

My uncle took this shot:

$16crash1a2.jpg$16crash2a.jpg$16crash3a.jpg

If these animals want to attack, no barrier will stop them.

who wants to take pictures of drifters anyways?

I had a large tree in front of me each time. Also good to know if a spot is more likely to have people going off course.

$279872_2260035217878_805785_o.jpg$280458_2260064498610_3031962_o.jpg

When I had a press pass for hockey there was a disclaimer on the back that I accepted the risk of flying pucks, panes of glass popping out, etc. etc. blah blah. Seems like I signed something too... read what you sign, the risk from being in a position close to a potentially dangerous fast moving sport is yours to take or not.

The only cars I've photographed were those little clown cars w/sponsor names on them used for races out on the ice at intermission... however those move about the speed of a Zamboni. Obviously hockey isn't as dangerous as a speeding car coming your way...

Obviously hockey isn't as dangerous as a speeding car coming your way...

I would argue that getting open ice checked by someone Zdeno Chara is pretty close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the waivers, everyone has to sign one just to get into the motocross events and us photogs have to sign an additional (more detailed) one for track access.

If not for the tree...........

That photog is actually pretty smart, trees make for great protection. I can think of at least one time that a tree saved me. Was going for this shot...

$_DBA8991.jpg

...and the only way to get it was by standing on the outside of this corner (the kill zone)...

$_DBA0796.jpg

You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to stand there with your back turned and not have something solid protecting your back. Thankfully there was a tree there (which is the only reason I even have that first shot) as a rider completely blew out that corner and clipped the tree...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't understand. Many of the photographers I saw had telephoto lenses. Why do they need to get really close? They probably shot a lot of cropped images.

I just don't understand. Many of the photographers I saw had telephoto lenses. Why do they need to get really close? They probably shot a lot of cropped images.
Define "telephoto" and "really close". People always crack jokes about how far my 300 can shoot, until they actually look through the viewfinder (on my FX body). It may or may not surprise you but these two setups have the same reach...

$_DSC6252.jpg

I don't know about motorcycles. I have 55-250mm, and I think I get good decent shots from sitting on the bleacher. If I stand behind the jersey barrier, I need to switch 18-55mm to get the whole car zips by.

Last edited:
It really all depends on what your wanting to get. instead of shooting from the stands I would rather be on the track and shoot the car and the crowd in the stands.

MDU4-43 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

and even if I'm relatively close a long lens allows me to get shots of the drivers faces as there going by.

NoStarBash-246 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

A lot of tracks have fencing up even if your up high and even though you can blur it out a lot I'd rather not have anything between me and the car. A lot of it also depends on location. At Kilkare raceway If I want to get them coming into the entry point of their long first drift I need to be on Turn 4 Which I could about reach over the barrier and slap the bumpers of the cars as they drive by, but I'm not taking photos of them directly in front of me. I'm shooting them further out. At Gateway in St. Louis I can be at a turn and 5 foot from the cars. but once I cross the track to the other side the concrete barrier I have to be behind is around 100' from the track If you want to shoot that and your not media your trying to shoot thru two chain link fences to get the same shot. I will usually have both cameras on me at that track because every time I move (about every hour to hour and a half ) my distance changes. Your not always shooting the cars as they are right next to you. you could be going for the turn a couple hundred feet back. esp. if they are linking. Worst day Ive had shooting was when my 70-200 went down during practice, trying to shoot with just a 24-70 was crap.

And yeah trees are great. Never used this shot but liked the closeness of it.

MDU3-65 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

this was from across the street, you can see how wide the tree was(on the left side) I was able to stand behind, about a good 4' or so diameter tree. Had to be super on your toes here, this was in Detroit on the actual streets. The city shut down Roosevelt park for us to drift at.

MDU3-32 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

i think of i was shooting people going in circles (closed circuit),I would much prefer being on the inside,shooting out,but not necessarily for moto-cross,sno-cross,rally.....there i think i like the tree idea best....lol

Most reactions

Back