Too colorful?

anton980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.antonimation.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! Wanted to find out if anyone thinks its too bright/overwhelming. I didnt mean to shoot this as a strict portrait where attention HAS to be on the subject, but rahter show the subject in the pretty scenery. I may have overdone it though. Just looking for another opinion :) Thanks!

Lena_Hershey_13a.jpg

Anton

Nice photo imo. But I think it looks a little unrealistic, which can be good depending on what you're going for.
I think because the setting is rather dull (not much light) it looks unrealistic to have such bright colours. IMO only the purple flowers and her clothes look too saturated. Maybe it's only her clothes. i'm not sure.
Also her skin is a little bit blue.

I think this shot would be absolutely divine if it was in the sunlight a little bit more - but not too much. You know - that soft dappled light look, like on the fern at the front. Overall it's a nice photo.

IMO it's a beautiful scene! and the models pose is great for portraiture, perhaps the blue tinge on her skin is just reflected off her clothes! overall good shot!

Thought about this pic a bit more and decided that she looks like a fairy sitting at the bottom of the garden.
Reminds me a lot of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I enjoy this photo. Good environmental portrait. Arguably there is no such thing as "too colorful". Keep in mind that the eye will always go to the brightest part of the frame first. In this case my eye is going everywhere except for the subject. Well placed fill flash may have added the perfect touch. The location is out of this world. I agree about the fairy sitting near the stream thought. Alltough she seems a little earthbound holding her jacket and the piece of paper etc.

Thanks very much to everyone for your comments! The place is beautiful - me and my wife (the girl in the photo) went there for a day. If you're ever in Pennsylvania near Harrisburg/Hershey, I strongly recommend you visit Hershey Gardens. Right now the whole place is blooming, so it's very colorfull all over.

Craig: I know the girl will not be the first thing you see when you look at the photo, but I didnt really intend her to be the main subject. Rather I wanted to put her in some pretty environment.

Meysha: the blue tint comes from the diffused light. I set the white balance so that the flowers would come out at their best and that colorized her skin somewhat. It's an easy fix though. I didnt do anything to this photo yet - it's straight out of the camera. I generally have to "brew" on something before I begin touching up photos that I like so I can print them later.

dalebe - thanks very much for kind words!

Again, thank you for commenting! It means a lot :)

Anton

Colors look natural to me, if anything I would of zoomed in closer and cropped out most of that drain. The drain does not look natural, as I can't help imagining a good deal of cement mixing and other building construction work going on there recently.

:cheers:

Thanks very much, JonMikal!

Paparazzi Paul said:
...if anything I would of zoomed in closer and cropped out most of that drain.
wouldn't I loose all of the right side of the photo? If you'd like, please show me how you would go about cropping this image.

Sand_On_The_Breeze said:
...I agree that it would be nicer with a bit more sunlight.
Unfortunately, that wouldnt be possible - that entire area is shadowed by trees.

As soon as I get some free time I will go ahead and touch up this photo. My main concern is with the blown-out sky in the dead center. I want to turn it blue, or at least bluer, similar to the skies at the edges of the photo. I'll also make the skin tones more natural and brighten the girl up a bit. If anyone can think of anything else to touch up, please let me know! :) Thanks again to everyone! I REALLY appreciate all the input!

Anton

anton980 said:
Unfortunately, that wouldnt be possible - that entire area is shadowed by trees.

I like the composition, although I'd probably crop a little off the right side. The subject seems dark, and needs to be a little more lit up. Use fill flash, or a reflector to bounce some light into the shade.

uh oh.... (gulp) I guess I'm the only one with some real concerns about this... portait? landscape? I'm just not sure what it's meant to be.

Beautiful model, and well posed! What does she have in her lap? I think I would have her set it aside. And, I'm seeing mostly whites in the eyes.

And the lighting... NICE area, but I think the wrong time of day. I can see you have some open sky light falling on her. Very nice! See how it so beautifully shapes her left arm? But the direct light spilling through is at too great a ratio. Perhaps a later time would avoid this.

I truly hope this is helpful.

-Pete

ksmattfish said:
I like the composition, although I'd probably crop a little off the right side. The subject seems dark, and needs to be a little more lit up. Use fill flash, or a reflector to bounce some light into the shade.

Yeah, that is what I meant about the cropping image, but I feel the subject seems OK and is not tooo dark.

:cheers:

Most reactions

Back