Too dark- or OK?

I would not be targeting that pantone color. I eat an orange almost ever day and that simply looks way too yellow.

Couple of things come to mind, remember I said one of the parts to hue is value??? Raising the exposure (Brightness) changes hue. Changing saturation/vibrance will also alter the hue. I was trying to keep the data numeric for comparison, to eliminate the "other factor" that affects perception - "memory color". The color we have hardwired in our brain as to how we should recognize something. As to the color of the orange you get from the store compared to the orange on the tree, its well.... "apples and oranges". LOL Check out the last photo on the link, that's a pretty good representation of a "real orange" Everything You Know Is Wrong; Oranges Aren’t Orange - Now You Know Like you most would turn up their nose at a green orange, but thanks to FDA allowance, that orange you eat every day, has likely had "makeup" applied CPG Sec. 550.625 Oranges - Artificial Coloring . Get into the farmers markets and groves of FL and you see them in their natural state.

you can keep mansplaining all you want... :p

Last edited:
you can keep mansplaining all you want...

If nothing else it's been an interesting journey!!! By the way that orange you eat everyday, it's not a Honeybell is it? Saw a lot of those being advertised last month as "oranges", when they aren't. They're actually a cross between a grapefruit and a tangerine, have a really orange color when they're ripe, and taste like a sweet orange.

I just go for navel. I want pink grapefruits actually, but I can never find them -- only ruby red.

I just go for navel. I want pink grapefruits actually, but I can never find them -- only ruby red.
Orange haters are gonna hate! LOL.

Actually, now I’m dying for some grapefruit...

smoke665 said:
First there are no areas that you could assume would be either a true white, true black or 18% gray. As the color, finish, reflections, light, etc. of the pan is unknown, the only thing with any supposedly known hue would be the orange.

Uh...NO.

The pan's handle is obviously steel-colored and is a neutral. And there's no need to have a "true" white, nor a "true" black, nor an "18% gray" to set a white balance: a NEUTRAL will do, and the pan's handle worked for me, and for another poster,and neutrals will help to set a WB quite easily. Sorry...but there were, very early on, some major blunders in trying to re-jigger an acceptably white-balanced image. I see this a lot here, and I saw your poker chip effort some time ago, where you white-balanced-away all the character in another poster's still life.

The OP asked if the shot was okay, or too dark.

The shot was, perhaps, a bit too dark. And the white balance was acceptably set.

Mathematically sampling color tones is a fun exercise, but in the end, it's the pictorial effect that counts.

shot looks fine to me Peeb, hence why I like it on flickr, I like the citrus reflection on the pan handle, I like the specular highlight and i love the glossy highlight of the orange skin.

Most reactions

Back