Too good to be true?

DishyDean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
First post :D
Looking for a zoom lens for my D3300 and thought I’d try eBay..
Found a Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm VR for what I think is a too good to be true price.
I’ve attached the eBay lens and the lens listing from the Nikon site and the price difference is huge. I’ve messaged the seller and asked if it’s genuine and of course he’s said yes, what do you all think? Thanks!

Attachments

• EA47C2CE-E2E1-4CA2-BB80-D9628E09325A.png
    EA47C2CE-E2E1-4CA2-BB80-D9628E09325A.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 194
  • C9756F78-F478-4DDA-A7A6-DF0851193B32.png
    C9756F78-F478-4DDA-A7A6-DF0851193B32.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 196
B&H has them near that price (a little more) for a reconditioned unit, not a brand new unit.

Nikkor 70-300mm VR | B&H Photo Video

At that price it might be

1) Reconditioned - its not new but should be just as good as; but the warranty period is typically shorter.

2) A grey market import - which isn't illegal, but means that Nikon USA won't touch it so it would have to go back to its country of origin for repair/warranty.

3) Not legitimate. Whilst there really isn't a market in producing knock-off camera lenses; a significantly lower price on something that isn't listed as reconditioned and/or a grey import means that there's a higher chance of it being untrustworthy.
If the seller on ebay has thousands of sale records then it might well legit and safe (it could be them clearing deadstock); however if the seller only has a handful of reviews (ergo very little trading history) then it might be better to be cautious and get from another source, even if it costs a bit more.

That’s what I thought too Tirediron. Checked their sales history and not a great deal of feedback 200+ but all seem to be positive. Doesn’t mention anywhere on the ad that it’s refurbished as that was my first thought too. I’ve seen a 55-200mm for £130 which seems a lot more legit so I may just go with that instead and not take a risk. Also to mention Argos also have 70-300 for £300 again which is a huge price jump for the same lens. Thanks for your help/advice all

.. what do you all think?
That lens is nothing special, so that is why the price is reasonable. Get it if you want, but IMO, this is the one you should get:
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Product 2161

This outdated model is superior in performance to the one you found. It is discontinued, so get a clean used example. E-bay has several to choose from, but my search goes to E-bay in the US, so just do a search in your own locality for a decent used copy.

Nikon Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 M/A ED G AF-S Lens VR- Pristine 18208021611 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for that designer. I’ve looked on my local eBay and there are none of the AF-S lenses. What about this 55-200mm lens attached? It’s the older AF-S lens as you suggested earlier. I’m upgrading from the 18-55mm kit lens. Also the eBay seller got back to me and said they come with a 1yr warranty and ‘sometimes’ come in white boxes as they buy them in pairs from their supplier.. hmm.

Attachments

• 6A6C00E6-E86E-447C-A669-868E3FCA93E4.png
    6A6C00E6-E86E-447C-A669-868E3FCA93E4.png
    144 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for that designer. I’ve looked on my local eBay and there are none of the AF-S lenses. What about this 55-200mm lens attached? It’s the older AF-S lens as you suggested earlier. I’m upgrading from the 18-55mm kit lens. Also the eBay seller got back to me and said they come with a 1yr warranty and ‘sometimes’ come in white boxes as they buy them in pairs from their supplier.. hmm.
This lens is one of two that are often packaged with one of the "Baby Nikon" beginner kits. In fact, as in my beginner kit. It's o.k., and it works, and it has VRII, so it might be a good choice for you. If you get one in a white box, make sure it comes with a Nikon factory warranty. Talk to the shopkeeper to make sure.

The lens in question is a _low-cost_ unit...it's not too good to be true...it simply is a low-cost lens.

Most reactions

Back