too many colors? bad hair?...

LRJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
is the background too busy? and the hair in the face, does that bug you???
i liked it at first, but now i'm having second thoughts... this is for a friend who wanted some cute candids of her daughter playing, most of the others are more posed, so i failed at the "cute candids"... but, whatever...

343978%3A323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2347%3D45%3C%3D953%3DXROQDF%3E2323865%3C37763ot1lsi

sorry, i haven't figured out how to make it bigger than this size

For me personally the hair is really distracting. Even though it's candid, I still wish I could have seen her face. The background does contain a lot, but I think had the face been clear, it may have not mattered. The other child in the background would be the only other thing that detracts from her IMO. If you got to shoot again, you could do this same type shot, but I would suggest get in close and catch her expression as she swings. The background colors would then still be nice and vibrant, but the focus would be her :) Just my thoughts.

I think a much tighter crop, just of her head with the hair might have what you're looking for in it. Obviously not posed, but you'll be able to see more details of her eyes. I think it could be really nice. Maybe even convert it to b&w.

Christie Photo said:
I think if you brighten it a bit and plumb the verticle lines (rotate the canvas ccw about 6 degrees) you'll like this even more.

IMO, if you rotate it that much you'll be cutting the crop too close to her head. try increasing the blur of the background to make her pop and if you're a pro in PS, remove some of the hair :wink:. keep at it, this isnt bad.

eromallagadnama said:
The background does contain a lot, but I think had the face been clear, it may have not mattered.

I agree, if my gaze were captured by her eyes, I wouldn't notice the busy background as much.

Thanks for the comments and ideas everyone... i'll see what i can do!!!

Most reactions

Back