Too Many Friggin Choices

Geofaroni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a digital SLR and am trying to decide between the following cameras. I'd appreicate your input (anyone) on which would bet the best. I'll be doing outdoor senic stuff in the mountains as well as some potrait / glamour type photography. I've used both Canon and Nikon in the past. Right now I have no lenses so i'm pertty much wide open. I was considering the EOS 5D and 10S but they both have no built in flash. It's nice to have one for on the spur of the moment shooting.

+ Nikon D80 10 mp
+ EOS 400D -8/06 10m pixels
+ EOS 30D 2/06 8.2m pixels

Geoff
Thanks!

I was considering the EOS 5D and 10S but they both have no built in flash. It's nice to have one for on the spur of the moment shooting.

+ Nikon D80 10 mp
+ EOS 400D -8/06 10m pixels
+ EOS 30D 2/06 8.2m pixels

Geoff
Thanks!

I disagree. If I have to choose between using on-camera flash and not getting the image, I choose the latter.

A full frame sensor can be nice if you like wide angle, although there is starting to be more wide angle lens choices for APS-C sized sensors.

I was considering the EOS 5D and 10S but they both have no built in flash. It's nice to have one for on the spur of the moment shooting.

my new camera has no built in flash and i never missed it.

my old camera has a built in flash, but I never used it (well, used it maybe 5 times in over 10 years and did not like the outcome)

any cheap external flash or even a torch is better than any built-in flash as it allows you to get the flash away from the camera.

I agree though, if you shoot for documentary purposes you might want a built-in flash to take shots you could not at all take without a flash and if you don't want to carry an external flash. But not photography wise.

I agree the 5 D is a very fine camera,

but you can only truly afford it if you can also afford at least one lens that does serve it well ... this camera is very demanding in terms of lenses due to its 12.something megapixels and due to the full frame sensor.

If you are also considering the D80, but are willing to pay for a 5D, take a look at the D200. It's the best camera I have ever owned. There is also a built-in flash on it. :)

If you can afford a 5D, I don't think I'd consider anything else.

I echo this sentiment. If I had enough to get a 5D, I would remove all other cameras from consideration.

And what the others said about built in flashes is true; they really aren't good for much.

If you are also considering the D80, but are willing to pay for a 5D, take a look at the D200. It's the best camera I have ever owned. There is also a built-in flash on it. :)
Yeah really, and that on camera flash can control other flashes wirelessly (for free)!

Most reactions

Back