Too much stuff???

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Earlier this week I was out shooting and realized for the first time that I now have "photographic equipment." Last year this time when I went out shooting all I had was a camera, kit lens, a few rolls of film, and a tripod. Then I called it "camera stuff." Now I have all these choices to make before I even leave the house, between bodies, lenses, filters, accessories. I was thinking about buying a holga, because I've heard they're supposed to "free your mind" or something, but then I realized that a Holga is just one more object that I think I'm supposed to have. The last few times I went out I just took a Sony point and shoot with a peephole lens and had a great time. Don't get me wrong, I love having photography toys, but sometimes I wish I had saved my money and just spent the last year making pinhole cameras out of biscuit tins. I feel like such a douchbag lugging around a backpack full of camera bits and a gigantic tripod. I also feel like a douchebag whining about this. Has anyone else ever felt like a douchebag?

I also feel like a douchebag whining about this. Has anyone else ever felt like a douchebag?

I may have been called one a few times. :mrgreen:

I'm still relatively new to photography, so my stuff all fits in a moderate sized camera bag:

body
kit lens
caps
ND filter
CircP filter
2 extra SD cards
cables that came with body (bat charger, video, USB)
lens hood

That's it. My only tripod is an el-cheapo light weight that I got for Christmas, but it does the job (so far).

(I also have 2 200W work lights that I was using to experiment with 'studio' lighting, but we'll not go there right now).

I still feel that I haven't gotten the feel for all of the stuff that I do have, so I guess I'll put of the VR lens, Alien Bee lights, etc. etc. etc.

I do a lot of "composing" by moving my big @ss around, so it's good that I travel light. I hope I can keep it that way.

I bought my gear to give me creative freedom. If I did not use it then I would feel like a fool (douchebag is a really bad word). Certainly a pinhole camera would be more convenient, but that is not the way I shoot.

LUV AND BASS

^^ exactly. I buy what I want/need for creative control. I don't have much gear, but what I do have allows me to do virtually anything I want (as long as it stays small format).

I recently sold two of my lenses because I hardly ever used one, and the other was just awful. my 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 and my 35-70 f/2.8. I absolutly LOVED my 35-70, but the focal range on it was awkward on the cropped sensor and as a result, covered an unneeded focal range. My 18-35 was horrible. I do not suggest that lens at all. The only time it wielded sharp images was if i was shooting at f/8-f/11, and you can't do that all the time, and it leaves very little creative control over what you can do. That and the CA it produced just meant more time in PS for me. I sold both of them for $400, and used that money towards my 17-55mm f/2.8 DX. Sure, i can't use it on 35mm, but i shoot 35mm so rarely it would make more sense just to rent the lenses i would need. Also, the 17-55 is so sharp, and so superior to my 18-35 that I have spent less time correcting problems such as CA and distortion that as a result, I get my work done quicker with better results. There were times when i was in PS for well over two hours fixing just color fringes from my 18-35. I don't' have to spend that kind of time anymore with the 17-55.

That's worth it to me. Having equipment like that is worth it in my opinion even though you get noticed and you have more junk to haul out in the field.

A simple guide which helps to curb 'equipment sprawl' is to buy only when you've missed two great prints because you didn't have the particular piece of gear. Note that the operative word is 'great' -- not 'so-so' or 'good' or 'nice' or 'excellent'.

With time, you can get pretty good at reducing the gear you haul about to a minimum. For 'street' photography my 'kit' is a 35mm rangefinder with standard lens, light meter, K2 filter and a couple of reloads. For landscape work a 120 rig, filters, lens hood, light meter, tripod, cable release and film does the trick.

With rare exceptions, the subjects which interest me are things which will still be there on another day. Should I see something which requires specialized gear, I just return to the site with the necessary.

I would only feel like one if I would be carrying all this the whole day and not use it :p.

I try to adapt to what I expect I will be shooting.
I have a small bag to hold only the camera and my wide angle (17-40) and my standard zoom (24-105), and a larger bag which can hold my whole gear. And a pouch just for my tele.

sorry but in my mind you can NEVER have too much gear :lol:

EIZO ColorEdge CE240W ... I love it :) Good I do not have to carry it around though ;)

It is hard for me to be involved in this conversation...LOL I have a TON of gear... but I am at a point where I use most if not all of it... and really only have one piece of gear I havent used much... but I bought it because of what it was... in hopes that it will MAKE me use it...LOL

Photography is totally an art... some art takes equipment to form... some doesnt... so if it does you should have what it takes to make whichever art you like to do... (at least I believe that...LOL)

I am sure you would like my new monitor in my workflow ;)

WTD119.gif

:mrgreen:

There is a difference though between being a gear head and just being happy with a purchase ;)

(read my rant in the photographic discussion today ;) )

I'ma pack rat (and I'm so lucky my wife puts up with me...)

I have a computer lab in my basement (for work mostly) with multiple computers/servers. My main workstation has two monitors.

I have a camera collection in my display cabinet with numerous film cameras

I have 4 vehicles in my driveway and garage: 93 Jeep YJ, 97 Miata, 2004 SRT-4 (my daily), and a 2005 nissan SE-R (ok its my wife's car). I am currently in the process of deciding on a 78 Porsche 911SC.

My opinion.... Whatever makes you happy!!!! you only live once and you can sell stuff later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back