Too real, not real enough? Pointless?

The contrasts are to apparent and transparent: a fairly well-off fellow in a homeless pose using a hand-made placard to promote a high morality based idea that in no way replicates the daily struggles of the homeless and serves to mock them instead. What were you thinking? as Dr. Phil would say.

I struggled with the idea of "mocking" and while hiring a homeless person to pose sounds like a good idea, there's also the issue of exploitation. The point was indeed contrast, however. Unfortunately, the white shoes weren't my doing...I asked the model if he had an old pair of shoes and this was his idea of beat-up sneakers. LOL.

I mean, it's less about replicating the plight of the homeless, but more so playing with words. I actually like the idea that he doesn't REALLY look homeless. I'm not sure why I like it though. He's awfully good-looking in real life, but I guess that doesn't mean homeless people can't be good looking - or at least, BEFORE the world beats them down. He could be newly homeless? But like I said, if you have to explain it, it defeats the purpose. Damn.

I still like the idea and I appreciate everyone's input...it's just hard to swallow when you feel strongly about something. Then again, I feel strongly about all my work :)

Ok, now that my idea has been beaten to a pulp, I need some quick validation. Where's my boyfriend when I need him? LOL.

Yep, I don't think you're going to be able to pull this off without a real homeless person. I second the idea of giving one $5 or $10 for posing for some shots. I think if you bring one guy friend along "just in case" you'll be fine. I think a homeless person would be happy to have $5 or $10 for a few minutes of sitting there doing the same thing he's doing anyway. That's 1 or 2 meals right there.

The brand new backpack, brand new, spotless white shoes, new hat, clean clothes just don't do it for me. I've seen plenty of homeless and they look nothing like this.

Not that a homeless person wouldn't enjoy making a quick 5 bucks, but it still seems exploitative. I don't know. Maybe it's "middle class guilt" speaking.

I guess it's a tricky subject to tackle to begin with. Funny thing is, everything in the picture is old, used and dirty (even the books)...which, for some reason, didn't convey in the picture. Maybe I should caption it "First day on the job" LOL.

Eh.

Now I have a better idea. Go out with a couple friends for body guards and shoot several homeless with their own signs. That wont be exploiting them and it would be a much more interesting point to make. If I was still young and without children and a husband, I would do it myself...

I say if you are really afraid of homeless people, maybe its a subject to just skip. I have known some really amazing people who where homeless who had lived amazing lives.

My feelings is dont fake
homeless
hookers
disabled people
GIs
clergy

You will miss out on everything that is behind their eyes

oh, by the way, I was homeless myself for almost a year when I was in college. I lived in a 1988 red Nissan hatch-back with my pit bull mutt named Aurora. I wasn't down and out, I never held a sign and I showered daily and kept up a 3.8 in college. I still managed to meet some amazing people and did some exciting things...and had some really scary experiences for that matter.

Well, now. I'm not scared of homeless people. I am, however, scared of crack addicts that see a girl with a nice camera handing out fivers to other homeless people and decide they could make some quick cash with a little bit of the ultra violence. When you've known enough people who have gotten their ass kicked in downtown, you think twice about approaching strangers with possible ulterior motives.

And in no way, am I saying ALL homeless people are crack addicts or are they bad people with ulterior motives, but it just takes one. And while good photographers take risks, sure, it's never a good idea to tempt fate especially when your kung-fu skills are lacking. The objective of the shoot was lost somewhere between clean sneakers and a shiny new cart. I get that, but it never was a statement about homelessness, per say.

Now I just feel like a bad person.

Dont feel like a bad person :) you are fine. Maybe pick a different subject or get some scarier friends or go find a homeless person in a small town :)

Dont feel like a bad person :) you are fine. Maybe pick a different subject or get some scarier friends or go find a homeless person in a small town :)

Thanks. I guess it's easier for male photographers to take these kinds of risks, or at least, there's less underlying fear of crack-heads. And if you've ever taken the bus in Los Angeles, you know what I'm talking about.

I spent time in LA as a kid...in the 90s we even managed to get lost in some not so nice areas.

I know what you mean about being female. I am suppose to take some night city photos for a class...yeah right thats going to happen. Besides the fact that i have two toddlers, I am also female. I am going nowhere at night alone and I have no one to ask to come with me

At the same time if you are going to make this statement, its all or nothing in my eyes. Let the guys take the shot or do it yourself. At this point of my life I would let the guys take it. Earlier, I was near fearless. But I agree LA isn't a nice cozy place to shoot. But there are other places. take a day trip to San Fransisco. I met some really cool homeless people there :) my dad was one...in the 60s of course

I am just trying to give you support, because it isn't easy as a female in this role. I think you are going to do great things :)

There is one more thing you cant fake...teenagers ;) like that 70s show

I spent time in LA as a kid...in the 90s we even managed to get lost in some not so nice areas.

I know what you mean about being female. I am suppose to take some night city photos for a class...yeah right thats going to happen. Besides the fact that i have two toddlers, I am also female. I am going nowhere at night alone and I have no one to ask to come with me

At the same time if you are going to make this statement, its all or nothing in my eyes. Let the guys take the shot or do it yourself. At this point of my life I would let the guys take it. Earlier, I was near fearless. But I agree LA isn't a nice cozy place to shoot. But there are other places. take a day trip to San Fransisco. I met some really cool homeless people there :) my dad was one...in the 60s of course

I am just trying to give you support, because it isn't easy as a female in this role. I think you are going to do great things :)

There is one more thing you cant fake...teenagers ;) like that 70s show

Emerana, thanks for your words of support. You really have to build up a thick skin when it comes to criticism. I'm working on it :blackeye:

Cinka, even though you didn't quite convey what you wanted I think the photos is a good photo.

I do not think that paying a homeless person is explotive. Rather, you are giving them a momentary job and someone to talk with.

I have taken a few homeless women out to lunch with me and my son and I can tell you that they thanked me more for treating them like a person and listening then for the full tummy.

I say take a friend and go for the real thing, because your message is powerful, and so are you...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back