Tools of the trade

mpdc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just playing at home. (sick leave can some times be trying.) Anyways what ya think?
Tools%20of%20the%20trade%20mod.jpg

yes i agree. i've seen some of your shots and they are much better. play with lighting. and maybe a different camera angle. if you are going for that over-the-top look, make sure its in the middle over the top.

are you a policeman?

Try taking all the objects and throwing them down randomly (obviously with some care!) and see what patterns emerge. I usually find that there are more natural and attractive patterns to the eye in chaos than in the organisation you have gone for.

Understand what you are going for but it seems like you could do a lot more with the same tools. As for the lighting - stick some tissue paper over the main source and you'll find it more even. Also well worth bracketing with reflected light as you can never be too careful! Try B&W as well as that can give a pretty punchy image!

Good luck - hope to see the results soon!

spike000 said:
Try taking all the objects and throwing them down randomly (obviously with some care!) and see what patterns emerge. I usually find that there are more natural and attractive patterns to the eye in chaos than in the organisation you have gone for.

Understand what you are going for but it seems like you could do a lot more with the same tools. As for the lighting - stick some tissue paper over the main source and you'll find it more even. Also well worth bracketing with reflected light as you can never be too careful! Try B&W as well as that can give a pretty punchy image!

Good luck - hope to see the results soon!
Thanks. Will try some of that. When you said bracketing You mean the light source correct?
I am EXTREMELY new to the whole lighting thing.
Most my shots are outdoors.

thebeginning said:
yes i agree. i've seen some of your shots and they are much better. play with lighting. and maybe a different camera angle. if you are going for that over-the-top look, make sure its in the middle over the top.

are you a policeman?
Thanks.

Yeah I think it just looks too hollow. Cant really explain it. Anyways I worked with some lighting. Not sure how it worked. Maybe the background colowrs should be changed?
Anyways here it is. Help me out here.

tools%20of%20the%20trade%202.jpg

For me, black/dark objects and/or black/dark clothing always present some problems when trying to photograph. I would suggest softer and some directional lighting. Maybe a little better focus too. I had a devil of a time when I first tried to photograph my Glocks...

railman44 said:
For me, black/dark objects and/or black/dark clothing always present some problems when trying to photograph. I would suggest softer and some directional lighting. Maybe a little better focus too. I had a devil of a time when I first tried to photograph my Glocks...
One on the right is a sig.

But Yeah I think the backgorund colors throw things off.
Working with the focus stuff. D20 and very new for me. But really thank you for the input.

Hey there, i think there are some possibilities with the "idea." But this shot, like others have mentioned, needs some work on the lighting. If you look around there is a design for building a lightbox for about $8 bucks with parts of pvc from homedepot or any other hardware store.

Something like the lightbox would make this much better. The badge especially. Its tough to take shots of metallic items. The lightbox would diffuse the light some.

One other note, the towel behind the items is kindof tacky.

Not trying to be harsh, just my critique. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm no pro. :)

I'll look for updates, interested to see what you come up with.

Take care

crystalview said:
Hey there, i think there are some possibilities with the "idea." But this shot, like others have mentioned, needs some work on the lighting. If you look around there is a design for building a lightbox for about $8 bucks with parts of pvc from homedepot or any other hardware store.

Something like the lightbox would make this much better. The badge especially. Its tough to take shots of metallic items. The lightbox would diffuse the light some.

One other note, the towel behind the items is kindof tacky.

Not trying to be harsh, just my critique. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm no pro. :)

I'll look for updates, interested to see what you come up with.

Take care

No dude thats good. I was looking at a way to adjust the lighting. Figured the white would work. This light box? You have a web site r some such I could review it?
Thanks

Most reactions

Back