Top 25 Photos on Flickr in 2019 From Around The World

Awesome and inspiring photos. Thanks for sharing the link.\\\

Yes a few of these are awsome!!!
I especially liked the jumping dog and the snowy owl. Very excelent work.
I wonder if in 30 years Leticia Roncero will be picking much more advanced work, as opposed to more of a "feel good" pic???
SS

I do not think one person selected those photos, but they were instead the most- viewed. I believe the young lady just wrote the brief text that accompanied the article. I think these selections reflect the general trend among Flickr users who like the "feel good type" of photos over more serious or more artistically -inspired works.

Screenshot_20191222-231544_Chrome.jpg

Poor writing, if you ask me. It says they pick the photos based on three criteria, but then she throws in the sentence about curation, without explaining anything.

I understand that 'Curation' involves deleting NSFW images, as these often receive the most comments.

These shots are a better batch of images that the Flickr algorithms normally select for 'Explore' - which generally comprise images of buses, trains, puppies and kittens.

I don't think the first two images belong -- the shot of the girl and the shot of the dog -- but I really enjoy the rest.

I like looking at other people's work. Just to see the talent and try to figure out what the photographer was thinking or going through at the time.

I like looking at other people's work. Just to see the talent and try to figure out what the photographer was thinking or going through at the time.
I once tried to outline my methodology for evaluating photographs, but was cautioned against doing so by the mods.

So I guess it is; "if you like it, it is good" is good enough.

I once tried to outline my methodology for evaluating photographs, but was cautioned against doing so by the mods.

That's odd. I can only assume they had a good reason though.

Personally I'd be quite interested in a discussion like that. We can only improve through critique, from both ourselves and others. Hearing how others assess an image goes towards understanding how your work may be viewed.

I do not think one person selected those photos, but they were instead the most- viewed. I believe the young lady just wrote the brief text that accompanied the article. I think these selections reflect the general trend among Flickr users who like the "feel good type" of photos over more serious or more artistically -inspired works.

Amen. Will never be bored enough to sucker click on any "(Pick a number)Best Anything" link.

Personally I'd be quite interested in a discussion like that. We can only improve through critique, from both ourselves and others. Hearing how others assess an image goes towards understanding how your work may be viewed.
To be more informative; I began "mouthing off" in one of the POTM voting threads, which apparently was not appreciated by the mods. If there happened to be some other thread that was better suited to teaching the members, then I might offer to retrace my attempts to teach folks what ot look for, and what features to look for, and which features deserve more consideration. As it now, I have to assume that the mods and the members are simply are not interested in learning how to evaluate photographs or other visual art.

To be more informative; I began "mouthing off" in one of the POTM voting threads, which apparently was not appreciated by the mods. If there happened to be some other thread that was better suited to teaching the members, then I might offer to retrace my attempts to teach folks what ot look for, and what features to look for, and which features deserve more consideration. As it now, I have to assume that the mods and the members are simply are not interested in learning how to evaluate photographs or other visual art.
LoL, that was probably you that got me kicked off for a week!!! LoL
It won’t be possible to teach people what to look for in a critique. All critique is given through ones personal lens of photo knowledge.
The more you know, the better your critique, so as long as one knows how to string more than two words together.
About the only thing you can teach is the framework which is to start with the positive aspects of an image and work towards the negative in a constructive way as opposed to negative way.
Our opinions are not the same as a critique, hence why someone might walk out of a MOMA exhibit and either be, or hear grumbling like “those photos were pure trash”! Just because ones morals don’t allow a place for humans to be having sex with animals doesn’t make it photographically trash!!!
Yes one can improve their delivery by being respectful but not give a critique above their photographic intellectual.
So any of us might give a very different critique that one given by Adams or Mapplethorpe, two arguable Masters, but our delivery and our outlines should be similar.
Also the fact that there are very few(I’ve seen only one) forums that even have a place to talk about and learn photography in general make it tough to be place of learning.
So it’ll be tough to teach critique!
SS

Most reactions

Back