Top 25 Photos on Flickr in 2019 From Around The World

To be more informative; I began "mouthing off" in one of the POTM voting threads, which apparently was not appreciated by the mods. If there happened to be some other thread that was better suited to teaching the members, then I might offer to retrace my attempts to teach folks what ot look for, and what features to look for, and which features deserve more consideration. As it now, I have to assume that the mods and the members are simply are not interested in learning how to evaluate photographs or other visual art.

Yep... that'd do it and fair play to the mods on that one (sorry mate). So.... you asked, I'd be really interested so I started a seperate therad here: How do you evaluate a photograph?

LoL, that was probably you that got me kicked off for a week!!! LoL
It won’t be possible to teach people what to look for in a critique. All critique is given through ones personal lens of photo knowledge.
The more you know, the better your critique, so as long as one knows how to string more than two words together.
About the only thing you can teach is the framework which is to start with the positive aspects of an image and work towards the negative in a constructive way as opposed to negative way.
Our opinions are not the same as a critique, hence why someone might walk out of a MOMA exhibit and either be, or hear grumbling like “those photos were pure trash”! Just because ones morals don’t allow a place for humans to be having sex with animals doesn’t make it photographically trash!!!
Yes one can improve their delivery by being respectful but not give a critique above their photographic intellectual.
So any of us might give a very different critique that one given by Adams or Mapplethorpe, two arguable Masters, but our delivery and our outlines should be similar.
Also the fact that there are very few(I’ve seen only one) forums that even have a place to talk about and learn photography in general make it tough to be place of learning.
So it’ll be tough to teach critique!
SS

Ok....

so first of all it's entirely possible to teach people how to critique a photograph, or any work of art for that matter. You are correct in the fact that thare is an amount of subjectivity involved, however simply going from positve to negative is not the way to do it.

Morals can form part of a critique, it's actually incredibly important to some works of art, particularly those that challenge connventional views. You are talking about morals vs technique.

Critique can be subtle or harsh, but does the delivery make it any more/less valid?

I see there is some latent disregard for the quality of the photographs, based on the objectivity of the context alongside. However, speaking as an enthusiast of photography, a lot of these photos are really good. I especially loved the last one, where the Owl is apparently making eye-contact.
~Sanjeev Nanda

I see there is some latent disregard for the quality of the photographs, based on the objectivity of the context alongside. However, speaking as an enthusiast of photography, a lot of these photos are really good. I especially loved the last one, where the Owl is apparently making eye-contact.
~Sanjeev Nanda

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say, but I respect your right to say your opinion.

~Sanjeev Nanda
Say "cheese", I mean "mouse".

~Sanjeev Nanda
Say "cheese", I mean "mouse".
63143-a1.jpg

This guy was the cameraman, Alan! lmao XD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back