Top 3 Books

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wondering what the best and most useful photography books have been. I know I saw them somewhere around here before, however the search didn't have any luck for me. After browsing the internet I want something that covers composition and a lot of the technical aspects. Not a book that displays a photo and just gives me the exif data. Something dull and dry to read but hopefully expand my photography skills, or the lack of.

I plan on buying used or on amazon just because I'm a prime member but whatever or wherever I may find it would be helpful to me. I can't stand reading computer screen with tutorials and most of them aren't from professionals. Getting a solid well published book will be useful for me now and in the future to possibly go back on.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

-Zach

I've been researching the same thing, and I constantly am told to get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Set. Another that pops up, but not as often is Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting.

I've been researching the same thing, and I constantly am told to get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Set. Another that pops up, but not as often is Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting.

Thank you! I have heard of those! I'm probably going to order 1 or 2 of them so I can start reading !

Well... I'm new to all this myself, but have read most books you see recommended in forums... I can tell you that Bryan Peterson's books are a good place to start, but I liked a lot better Michael Freeman's books, even though they're not entirely directed to beginners. However, with just a little experience and understanding of photography, you'll be able to follow them as I did :)

Freeman has lots of books and I've only read 2 of them: Perfect Exposure and The Photographer's Eye. Both GREAT books. And probably today I'll order another 2 from him: The Photographer's Mind and The Photographer's Vision.

Besides these ones, focused on Exposure and Composition... I'm reading Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book. that has 4 volumes. It's really basic, but still worth the reading. Although it's more 'tips oriented'.

And finally, probably one of the best out there... Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lightning.

I know there has to be tons of great photography books out there, probably older, but not sure why I always keep finding the same recommended over and over again.

If you want the accepted manual for technical I'd add in London, Upton and Stone's Photography, 10th edition.
It's a pretty standard textbook in a LOT of photography programs.

I just started Light Science and Magic...in fact, just finished the first chapter on my way home from work (riding the bus DOES have its advantages!). I hope the rest of the book doesn't make me think QUITE as hard as that first chapter did! :D

I've thought about Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" but wonder if it would be too basic for me, as I've been shooting for many years, but just started getting really serious about it in the last few years.

I've also picked up a couple of e-books that were on sale for pretty cheap; haven't read them yet, so they might not be worth much. Tony Northrup's "how to create stunning Digital Photography" and one from Darren Rowse of the Digital Photography School, "Photo Nuts and Shots: Tools and Techniques for Creative Photography."

Guess I should really get to reading those. :D

I have read Scott Kelby's digital photography books and enjoyed them. Next, I'm planning to read "The Moment it Clicks" (a book Kelby recommended).

YMBK...I was just thinking of this yesterday. May not be what your looking for...but HERE is a thread I started yesterday that relates. Yes...these three books tell you everything you need to know...but old school. I lost a couple over the years and re-bought them, just because.

I have purchased a couple of books that LizardKing mentioned. I agree with his position about the Scott Kelby books. They are tip oriented and for me quite helpful. I don't regret buying them. I also purchased Michael Freeman's book The Photographers Eye. I found this book to be a rough read. I haven't given up on the book yet, I'm just having a hard time reading between the lines. His points make sense but, he IMO isn't clear and can be wordy. If you read the reviews for his book they are mixed. Many rave about the book and others take my opinion on it.

The best photography book I have read is Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography."

There are parts that prob. won't apply to a lot of people but other parts are pure gold.

I have a few that are great reads.

Sketching Light: An Illustrated Tour of the Possibilities of Flash

Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Couple great books to understand lighting.
The first book is about OCF, but the fundamentals of light are strongly discussed.

556391_556494665981_1027883681_n.jpg

Some very good books already mentioned. Another author who not many know, but probably should, is Freeman Patterson. Some of his books are listed here: Freeman Patterson : Books

My photo club has had him do several masters classes, and of the photographers who went, the general consensus was that the man is just amazing. And this is from professionals who publish in nature magasines, travel magasines, fashion, etc.

Look his stuff up - it opens doors that we didn't even know were there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back