Top reasons why not to renovate your room/house (part 1)

cpelsy2k1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,

So my fiancé and I needed something to do over the Christmas break so we decided to redo my room (I still live with the 'rents because I need to save money for the wedding). Anyway we began the process of renovating my room several weeks ago and I thought i would give everyone an idea of how much work goes into renovation! So if your thinking about renovating your room or even better your house you should definitely take a look. So without further ado...

The room before any renovations began
mg0356dn9.jpg

Shot with Canon EOS 30D at 2008-01-25

Another shot before everything began
mg0355cp9.jpg

Ok so one of the first steps is moving your junk out (like into the hallway)
mg0396kd5.jpg

Then you've got to remove any doors (like the ones that were on this closet)
mg0362tu8.jpg

So when you have removed all the junk, doors, curtains, and pretty much everything you own out then you can begin the process of removing the wallpaper
mg0384yl5.jpg

The problem with wallpaper though is that sometimes it just won't come off. In this case wallpaper stripper is a must. The stripper is what gives the walls that shiny look. (note to self do not inhale, open windows)

img0380so5.jpg

Often times the wallpaper stripper isn't enough. In this instance you've got to bring in the brute force, aka, the wallpaper scorer. The scorer produces those lines you see in the wallpaper, its kind of like someone keying your wall. (basically a razor sharp spinning thing that you grind the wallpaper with)
mg0381ko9.jpg

Shot with Canon EOS 30D at 2008-01-

The wallpaper looks like this when its finally off the wall

img0366vu2.jpg

After awhile your walls will start to look like this
mg0371rk8.jpg

And this
mg0360ln2.jpg

And let us never forget that when you can't see or you need to measure things these tools become man and woman's best friend
img0367um3.jpg

Well thats all for now. Tomorrow or Sunday I will post the next phase of renovation: even more fun! Hope you enjoy!

BTW i know the white balance is way off in some of these shots but I only had owned my camera for a week, and well, taking perfect photos wasn't the first thing on my mind. Enjoy!

Well, I know why the kitchen has not been done in all the years we have lived in this house! And I find confirmation for the fact that it won't be done in the next couple of years, either, in these photos! Argh! Don't I know all about renovating (or moving a whole house, for that matter)???

Nice little documentary. Now show us Part 2.

Yes, removing wall paper is about as much fun as puking through your nose. I had to do a couple of rooms recently, and like LaFoto, I have to put off re-doing a kitchen this spring. ;) Wall paper should be outlawed!

Fabric softener mixed with warm water in a spray bottle makes the wallpaper job a lot easier.

Most reactions

Back