Torn

DavidElliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to pitch this out for all of you film slr buffs. I managed to find someone that was selling his Canon AE-1, along with Canon FD 50 mm lens 1:1.8, 28 mm 1:2.8 wide angle lens, Sigma 75 - 210 mm zoom lens, Vivitar 550 flash for hot shoe mount. Camera bag and accessories. All of that for $50. I've also found a Pentax K1000 on ebay that is currently hovering around $47 dollars that included the following: vivitar 273 flash w/ manual, SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm lens, Tokina 70-210mm 1:4.5-5.5 Zoom Lens, Tiffen 49mm UV protector, Quantaray 49 mm Spot filter, Untra Pod table-top tripod and Tamrac Expedition 3 Camera bag. my question is if you were in my shoes, which one would you pick? I'm completely new to film so I don't know exactly what I should be looking for, or what constitutes a "deal" I've heard that the Pentax is a workhorse and a great buy for beginners. Also, that the AE-1 is a good camera with a good supply of affordable FD lenses for the having. For the AE-1, I've read somewhere on the forums that there is a chance of "mirror squeak" but i'm not sure if that's going to be a problem or not. Should I jump on these chances, or should I wait it out for other bargains to appear?

Go for the AE-1 if not both, roughly a hundred dollars for two cameras and a mountain of glass is well worth it.

The AE-1 is also a work horse. Yeah there is a possibility of the "Canon Squeal" or Mirror Linkage issue, but if you can speak to the guy face to face and see the camera in hand you should be better off than internet. The Pentax... I am in the same boat you are, Just going on what I have read, but as it sits now it looks like an alright deal.

thanks for the quick reply battou, i was hoping you'd come to my rescue. yeah luckily for me the AE-1 was a craigslist find, so the guy is the near area hopefully. i'll try to arrange a meet-up to take a look at the items close up. how do i test to make sure everything is in working order?

Well...It is fairly simple for the most part. Look through it and make sure the screen is not beaten to tar, and also check the meter. The meter works by half pressing the shutter release down, you can check it's accuracy against your dSLR. I generally open the film compartment and remove the lens and release the shutter a handfull of times starting at 1/1000 then 1/30 or 1/15 then 2/1 and finally Bulb, watch the mirror speed and shutter movement (you don't need to try to calculate the shutterspeed for accuracy, just make sure it moves). If the camera has the Canon Squeal, you'll know it the first time you release the shutter, it's unmistakable, and the mirror is very slow to move (if at all). If that is all fine turn the small knob on the shutter buton out to the front and engage the self timer, hold the camera (still open and with out a lens) up to a light and release the shutter again (1/1000 will be fine here) The mirror should stay up wile the self timer is counting down, wile it's doing this look at the shutter curtain, if you see light before the shutter releases...the curtain needs replacing. Before you close it check around the seal for fragments sticking to the door, it is a sign of worn seals.

And well...there is your primary inspection more or less.

Also note, that if the battery is dead it won't fire and the meter won't move, but new batteries are available at most drugstores.

I'd note that on ebay, you have to factor shipping and you want to get some claim by the seller that the item is working,in good condition. Sellers get graded on the item being AS DESCRIBED and even Great Condtion..implied it DOES work..so most will refund if there is a problem. Also on ebay..price can shoot up a lot in the last 5 min after hovering for days.

Generally I do favor Pentax as I like how near ANY Pentax lenses and bodies can work togather. The outfits you describe...sounds like there's slightly more to the Canon package.

thanks for all the feedback. unfortunately i did not win either of those two cameras. instead i ended up buying a pentax p3 and lens. the camera came in the mail today, but unfortunately to my disappointment, the lens that came with it was broken! this was quite disheartening since the seller assured me that everything was in perfect working order. i just checked out the camera and everything seems to be in working order (it even came with an extra battery) the lens is a vivatar 28-80mm and gets stuck when i try to zoom usually around 50mm to 65mm. right now it's permanently stuck on 65mm and won't budge. when i shake the lens, i can hear loose particles moving around. i'm pretty sure the lens is done for. i have already contacted the seller about this problem and hope to hear good news. however, it looks like i'll need to pick up a new lens in order to play with my new toy. since this is my first journey into the world of film & pentax, i was wondering what would be a worthy replacement? i'm not sure what sort of lens to look for or what is a good price to pay?

The Pentax SMC M 50mm f/1.4 is a somewhat legendary lens if you don't mind spending the money. The f/1.7s are supposed to be nice as well.

I would peruse KEH and look in the Pentax K-mount section. Good prices and reputation.

for the past hour, i've been googling to find out what flash unit is compatible with my pentax p3, but i can't seem to find out. anyone out there have experience with a P3 and know which flash unit to look for? also, what is a good bw film to start out with?

Most reactions

Back