Toronto At Night

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first ever attempt at night-shooting....took ~80 shots, but since I forgot my tripod here, about 70 were blurry. So here's a few, and let me know how to improve at all! Again, locations are there for fellow TO folk

#1 - A church on Shuter street I've been wanting to shoot for weeks, never got around to it
churchti0.jpg

#2 - A light on said church
lightmu2.jpg

#3 - Might be the same light as well as a lampost, or a different one..same church, either way
lightshn5.jpg

#4 - A bike that got abandoned on Shuter street
abandonedpg1.jpg

#5 - First real attempt at a water shot (once I got the exposure right). Dundas Square, Yonge and Dundas
watergz9.jpg

#6 - Another water shot, different perspective
water1sz0.jpg

The B&W of the wheel less bike has that certain something about it. The grain is great and it is so typical of a big city side street at night - any city even Toronto.

For a first time - and for the fact that you left your tripod at home when you went out for night photography :)shock: :shock: :confused: :scratch: ???) - these came out really well!

Yes, you finally got to take that church and you did well in both, the first and second, while the composition of the third does not appeal to me as much.

But most impressive is the abandoned bike photo, no doubt. The grain and b+w do add to the overall impression of abandonment, loneliness, night.

And I also like the reflected colours on the wet pavement in the last.
You should do this again, WITH your tripod in tow! ;)

Another enjoyable series, GoM! I always look forward to seeing what you've captured.

For nighttime shots, Ontario Place has the Chinese Lantern festival on at present so there are some very colourful displays to be seen. You might want to check that out.

Thanks for the words, LaFoto....though I must say, where I was, though not the shadiest area, did have its share of crazies, so a tripod may have been a bit obnoxious, but ehh....next time :)

Cheers for the OntarioPlace idea Antarctican...we'll see if it comes about, dunno though

A tripod makes you look so much more "pro" immediately - and if need be and people get too nasty about it, you always have something there with which to hit them over their heads :greenpbl: ...

I also just blatantly forgot it and I'm using the hobo excuse to cover the fact ;)

Very cool series. I have been wanting to get some nighttime shots downtown, but the thought of carrying the tripod and everything makes me change my mind. After seeing your shots...I think I might be trying this.
Nice work!!!

Man I love Toronto. Nice series.

I think maybe it's time for a Toronto meetup....?

Cheers guys

Can't say I'd say no to a group thing with all 8,000 of us TO TPFers for an afternoon...that'd be kinda fun. I'm also probably younger than everyone else by a good decade or two, but meh...fun nonetheless

GoM, I just read this morning that it's $25 to go into Ontario Place to see the festival,which is pretty pricy IMO :( . When I went on Sunday night, I just shot pics of the displays one can see from the outside.

Antarctican said:
GoM, I just read this morning that it's $25 to go into Ontario Place to see the festival,which is pretty pricy IMO :( . When I went on Sunday night, I just shot pics of the displays one can see from the outside.

Damn, that is pricey.

Oh well...this weekend I have some friends coming up from school for the Beaches Jazzfest (right in my area, may as well go...for the 18th time. And yes, it's been going on for 18 years), which'll be a blast, so I may get some photo opportunities of musicians, which may be kinda cool

Most reactions

Back