Total newbie to photography looking for camera buying help

Shades

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I'm a total newbie to photography- I'm the kid of person who takes pictures of friends, and that's about it. However, I'm really, really interested in getting into photography.

I ride horses, and am beginning to start my own buisness. However, being able to photograph horses would be a HUGE asset to me. We have a family camera, and it's great, but my problem is the long delay time. I'm needing to take some action shots, and while there's been plenty of opportunities, I always just miss them, because my camera's too slow.

I'm looking for a beginner-friendly camera for a reasonable price (under $1000 would be nice). It needs to have a quick start-up time (I think that's what you call it...:lol:) and also have a good image quality, since Photoshop is my hobby, and working with low-quality images is like hell. I have an awesome base of friends who kindly let me use their photography as stock, but I'd like to be able to supply for myself, too.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, it'd be a HUGE help.

Thanks!!

I recently purchased a D40 Nikon as a newbie and its been perfect. Its well under $1000 which leaves room in your budget for accessories. I think any of the "starter" DSLRs will fit your budget and purposes well.
Welcome to the site...you've come to the right place.

Ha ha. Thank you! It seems like a really good forum- there's TONS of people online, and from what I've read, everyone seems really willing to help out.

I really like that one. I just peeked at a picture, but I'll definitely have to google it. I'm really liking the price tag, too.

Thanks again!

Yes, another recent D40 buyer here:) I do love it and it is well within your budgit. D40 is very nice to hold, is user friendly, and takes great pictures (somewere I read it takes as good of pictures as say a camera with more megapixles due to some new technology or something. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but that is what I read). Only down side is it does not have a focus motor built into the camera body so you must buy AF-S lenses which have the motor in them. Other than that for the price you cant go wrong:)

Only down side is it does not have a focus motor built into the camera body so you must buy AF-S lenses which have the motor in them. Other than that for the price you cant go wrong:)

You only have to buy AF-s lenses if you want auto focus. Most photographers now a days don't use auto focus, it's lazy.

The GREAT thing about Nikon cameras is, even the lens' made in the 60's work with this camera (manual focus only) so instead of going to a camera store and spending hundreds even thousands on lens' you can go to ebay, like i did, and buy GREAT older lens' for dirt cheap, and they work great.

The Nikon as people have mentioned or The Canon Rebel xt (what I use) or Rebel xti (newer version but in my opinion not worth the extra money)

Remember that You are going to need more money after you buy the camera to get the lenses that would be good for shooting horses. Personally I never have but I would imagine a 70-200 or 70-300 would be good.

First time poster and sort of new to photography myself:wink:
I picked up the Nikon D40 about a week ago and couldn't be happier. There is a definite learning curve to the point and shoot but I was able to come up with some good shots on my first time out so if I can do it, anyone can.

Looks as though Nikon has a hit on their hands! ;) A D40 with the kit 18-55m should do you fine to start and then for a longer lens I've heard good things about the 55-200mm VR.

mike

Ha ha. Lots of people like the nikon. I might just have to go for that.

Yeah, I can imagine the learning curve. I've got a hand for photoshop, though, so I'm hoping I can cover up some of my mistakes after.

So, I'm going to probably make myself look like a complete idiot here, but what is a focus monitor? The shots I'll be taking will likely be largely spur-of-the-moment. That sort of thing happens when your subject is moving very, very quickly. :D Will I have enough time to manually adjust the focus?

Thanks again, everyone.

How does the Nikon D40 compare to the Canon Eos 400? Aere they in the same league?
Over here in Aus the more mainstream shops seem to advertise the Canon a lot more heavily than anything else and most places have it priced at about $1400 with a two lens kit.

Not unless you are very good at it. (takes practice) What you really need is a fast shutter speed for fast moving subjects. At some point you are going to want fast glass (lenses with a small aperture number- the smaller the number the bigger the aperture, just like wire) to keep up your speed in low light but right now you need a camera and all that other will come. :)

mike

Thank you so much. Just one more dumb question for the moment- My mom keeps a nice older Nikon film camera. The lenses won't fit a digital, will they?

Thank you so much. Just one more dumb question for the moment- My mom keeps a nice older Nikon film camera. The lenses won't fit a digital, will they?

Sure will! :thumbup:

Probably will. It depends on how old. The lenses need to be at least AI lenses. They can be modified to fit if they're not but she may not want to do that on a really nice antique outfit. Ask her what model it is or if it uses AI or AI-S lenses.

In any case older lenses are not too expensive and unlike old Canon lenses will work on the new Nikons- but you already knew that and their limitations on the D40 (if you move up in the near future they will meter).

mike

Most reactions

Back