Total Noob

nightwing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for the best (as inexpencive as possible) advice for a total noob getting into photography.

Looking for the best (as inexpencive as possible) advice for a total noob getting into photography.

You give like no information about yourself. Your budget, what you want to shoot..etc..etc...You'll get more (serious) replies if you give more information.

It may sound totaly off base and old school but I would start with film. If you learn to shoot manual and with film it becomes so much easier with all of the new technology. I do not know your age or budget or any of that but a decent film body can be found at a lot of pawn shops for around a hundred bucks.

Michael

I got an Canon EOS 650 body for like 20 bucks or something on ebay a few years ago....

However, the learning curve with a film camera is greater than that of digital.

How do you see yourself getting into photography? Random shooting or "thought out" compositions?

It may sound totaly off base and old school but I would start with film. If you learn to shoot manual and with film it becomes so much easier with all of the new technology. I do not know your age or budget or any of that but a decent film body can be found at a lot of pawn shops for around a hundred bucks.

Michael
I disagree 500%.

It's much cheaper to start with a P&S Digital, because you don't have to pay to have the images printed. Well, you don't have to print images at all, and you can do a lot more experimenting and learning for free. You also get to learn basic PP, and at least how to crop for better composition, which leads to learning to frame better in the field. Again, you don't have to pay for a single print to see the results of your experiments.

Then when you decide you actually have some talent and are getting some decent images, you can move up to a film camera and at least get some decent images worth the cost of printing.

I say jump right in, go for it and buy a D40! :lol:

You have two options (leaving out film)

-Point and shoot
-DSLR

You buy a point and shoot for 300$, after two weeks you say, I like this photography thing its cool! I want one of those big black cameras where you can switch lenses! You realize your P&S was a waste of money. And that you want a real toy. I say jump right in. Do all your reasearch find what you want.

Here are some easy beginner sources:

Find The Best Digital SLR Camera for You in 4 Easy Steps

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rum-photo-gallery/123160-tutorial-thread.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ery/167288-camera-terms-acronyms-dummies.html

There you go! To be honest I got into photography last year, here I am a year later full of knowledge with no camera because I couldnt afford one. After saving up I knew exactly what I wanted, what the features were, all the terms, and what lens I wanted/needed. I didnt make one mistake on deciding what gear I needed because I "studied" for a year. Now I have my camera.

Whats your budget?

Good luck and reasearch up! :thumbup:

Michael
I disagree 500%.

It's much cheaper to start with a P&S Digital, because you don't have to pay to have the images printed. Well, you don't have to print images at all, and you can do a lot more experimenting and learning for free. You also get to learn basic PP, and at least how to crop for better composition, which leads to learning to frame better in the field. Again, you don't have to pay for a single print to see the results of your experiments.

Then when you decide you actually have some talent and are getting some decent images, you can move up to a film camera and at least get some decent images worth the cost of printing.

I see what you are saying. I never thought I would be using a point and shoot after I got out of school. I can tell you now that that is the camera that goes with me every morning. The reason I said what I did was to help the OP learn photography the way "I" did. I am not sure that is the best way but that is the way I learned.

With todays advancement in technology the sky is the limit. What I would suggest is get some books or go to an adult vo-tech night classes and learn the basics of photography.

Things are so much different today than when I got into it. We had to load our rolls from bulk. We had to develop the negs and then print them. I am not saying that this is the only way to learn but I will say this we learned.

The best advice I can give is shoot, shoot, shoot, and when you tired of shooting. Start shooting again. You will develop a style that is your own.

Michael

First learn how the camera works. Not just oint and shoot. Get a camera that has a manual mode in it. You will learn a lot if you shoot in the manual mode. If you try shooting in the auto mode, then the camera will decide what is the best exposure for the shot you plan to take, whereas if you shoot in the manual you have complete control of the camera. Just try to remember and take down notes of the particular shot you made ( exposure, time of the day, lens used etc.)

Learn how the camera works. Try to know how each works. Then get a camera with a manual mode in it. If you want to learn shoot in the manual mode, if you try shooting in the auto mode it will be just like using a point and shoot camera. In the manual mode you have complete control of the camera. Then try to remember and take down notes as you go along,plan all your shoots ahead of time so you wold not be wasting film.

Most reactions

Back