total weirdness tonight near the port

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Ok, maybe im turning a new leaf or something very weird is going on.

Usually I end up with 3 or 4 guard trucks stopped and trying to question me and I am tight lipped and walk away. Well, I ended up seeing the same guys over and over and over there always jerks about everything, (when I give them no information) But the more I talk to them a little here and there I actually started to get to know some of them a little bit. Its actually pretty funny.

When the 4th truck pulled up a huge 400 pound dude got out and gave me a high five cause he remembered my chuck Norris joke from last week. While his boss looked on with a funny look. Seriously is that some hilarious stuff or what. .

I started thinking, im not gonna ever get rid of these guys, and they have nothing better to do.

Tonight I decided to try something different, I was totally open with them and gave them my website and everything ! After a little while we were joking, talking about wifes and kids and I think I even got some of them to appreciate art a little more.

In the end they drove me to a spot I would of had to walk forever to get to, and told me other cool spots I might not have otherwise known.
I let one guy take my picture (oh the horror) so he could put it in the weeknight shift folder so those guys wouldn't mess with me if they saw me around.

You know what, there just trying to do a job, as long as they don't touch me I'm not as peeved to talk to them as I thought I would. You only have to introduce yourself once, then they know you...

Lets just say the walls are down now. they were just scared of getting in trouble and honestly I think some of them are trying to protect America.. Lol

Im gonna drop off some 8x10's sometime cause they spend all night there and actually they would really love to see the shots I think..
totally weird, I think I made some friends, and they were just happy to finally know who I am , they said now they will just wave at me when they drive by cause they don't worry what im up to...

I guess I finally decided Its more worth it to invest a little time in order to reap benefits later on. Seriously its weird they drove me all over the place in the truck, I almost knew them all anyway by name, I figured hey might as well talk to them finally....

We called the police in a friendly way so they could clear up the law a little bit, and it was like an informal meeting when they came down, very cool.

Only mis-advice is the port police seem to think you need to get a permit from watch commander to shoot in the port even on the sidewalk.

BUT, (big deal) this means I can now deliver some cards and prints to the port office and EVERY officer goes in and out of there, they would love that stuff..

Im making lemonade out of lemons folks. I want to head off the root of the problem, Its time to be the responsible photographer and take the initiative instead of relying on the letter of the law to make their jobs harder, I mean the time I go there, and the stuff I shoot, I think id be curious too if I were a cop, they never stop me, but its always a hassle,

so, ; the cops told me if I go down and basically introduce myself to the guys ( I dont think there is any such permit) they will put my info there in the system and not bother me either.. WOW that would be a DREAM....
30 minutes spent once to save me an hour each night i shoot...

They actually said they don't want to waste my time and bother me so I should go and say hello to the guy sometime and give him some cards. And actually they told me the only reason they have to be so throughout is they have had cases of people taking pictures that turned out to be seriously planning something, of course they cant tell me details, but why would they lie about that, I mean why bother when they can be out stopping violent crime that happens around there, I think there must be some albeit small, truth to it after all,

Heres the trick, talk to the port police, not the normal police
the port police pull rank on everyone, they have neat weapons and dogs, I think in the future Ill be getting into some cool places if I make some friends in there ...

In the end they are just trying to protect us, It only takes a little talking and then then they want to be on with their business too.. I guess I was taking a too defensive position before, this is like very freeing cause I dont dread the next time a cruiser drives by, I will wave !!!

Ill let you know how the next time goes with this new direction.

its 3 in the darn morning , goodnight...

I've had my run-ins with the LA Harobr crew. I moved away too early, but I would have pursued the same strategy. Keep at it, good thinking.

Think about making them one or two large prints for the office (bigger than 8x10), so they know what you're working on, and have it as a quasi-poster in the office.

Btw, I'm really impressed by your photographic development. You have made lemonade there as well - from having no time during the day to being one of the few people really doing good night-time work. Consistency pays off.

Respect.

I'll be back in LA end of next week, once I'm settled in we can get together for a shoot-out.

I can already tell what the next time will be like...

Good, or better than before. The energy we put out is the energy we get back so much of the time! You're putting out good and friendly vibs - so I guess that's what you'll get back. And good on ya for recognizing it!

Ya know... all this stuff we're talking about in the other threads with the demanding of rights and all that. It's needed sometimes but it's not the only way and certainly not the best way to work with them in order to get what you want (photographs, set-up time, and a little space). You'll always catch more flies with honey than you will by demanding your rights and so forth. This is common sense. When we want to date a potential partner we don't go about it by demanding that we should be considered worthy or equal. On the same note if a bunch of woman get together and lobby for legislation that puts men at a severe disadvantage (or vise-versa) then protesting, demanding, and making a bunch of noise is probably one of tools to consider.

I think it depends what you're doing that day. Are you trying to get some pics, a little special treatment, and have some fun? Or are you practicing being a good citizen and trying to raise public awareness about the subtle (or not so subtle) erosion of our constitutionally guaranteed liberties?

People on these forums myself included, when we hear about an injustice we automatically raise the red flag. And while that is probably the best way to think about it ("Freeeeeedooooom!!!!") it's not usually the best way to deal "with the guys" in order to "be allowed" to exorcize those freedoms.

Same goes for the actual organized protest too - if anyone does one. Talk to the guys and let them know far in advance what's up, let them get to know you a little, so they'll know beforehand and not break your sh** when you go videoing, bull-horning, or whatever it is.

Anyway, glad to hear you opened up to some fellow human beings and were rewarded in kind! It's a good feeling!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great opportunity for a photo project that perhaps no one else has access to document. Local museums and gallaries love that kind of stuff, at least around here... :thumbup:

I work the industry every day and deal with those very security folks everyday. I could go on for hours about it but thats a whole other story. Find out if you are eligable to get a TWIC card. Transportation Workers Identification Card~ It requires a security background check and showes you are not a terrorist type. The Port security will immediatly know you are an ok type because you have one. The card cost 132.00 and is good for 5 years. Lots of finger printing to get it.:thumbup:

Ok, maybe im turning a new leaf or something very weird is going on.

Usually I end up with 3 or 4 guard trucks stopped and trying to question me and I am tight lipped and walk away. Well, I ended up seeing the same guys over and over and over there always jerks about everything, (when I give them no information) But the more I talk to them a little here and there I actually started to get to know some of them a little bit. Its actually pretty funny.

When the 4th truck pulled up a huge 400 pound dude got out and gave me a high five cause he remembered my chuck Norris joke from last week. While his boss looked on with a funny look. Seriously is that some hilarious stuff or what. .

I started thinking, im not gonna ever get rid of these guys, and they have nothing better to do.

Tonight I decided to try something different, I was totally open with them and gave them my website and everything ! After a little while we were joking, talking about wifes and kids and I think I even got some of them to appreciate art a little more.

In the end they drove me to a spot I would of had to walk forever to get to, and told me other cool spots I might not have otherwise known.
I let one guy take my picture (oh the horror) so he could put it in the weeknight shift folder so those guys wouldn't mess with me if they saw me around.

You know what, there just trying to do a job, as long as they don't touch me I'm not as peeved to talk to them as I thought I would. You only have to introduce yourself once, then they know you...

Lets just say the walls are down now. they were just scared of getting in trouble and honestly I think some of them are trying to protect America.. Lol

Im gonna drop off some 8x10's sometime cause they spend all night there and actually they would really love to see the shots I think..
totally weird, I think I made some friends, and they were just happy to finally know who I am , they said now they will just wave at me when they drive by cause they don't worry what im up to...

I guess I finally decided Its more worth it to invest a little time in order to reap benefits later on. Seriously its weird they drove me all over the place in the truck, I almost knew them all anyway by name, I figured hey might as well talk to them finally....

We called the police in a friendly way so they could clear up the law a little bit, and it was like an informal meeting when they came down, very cool.

Only mis-advice is the port police seem to think you need to get a permit from watch commander to shoot in the port even on the sidewalk.

BUT, (big deal) this means I can now deliver some cards and prints to the port office and EVERY officer goes in and out of there, they would love that stuff..

Im making lemonade out of lemons folks. I want to head off the root of the problem, Its time to be the responsible photographer and take the initiative instead of relying on the letter of the law to make their jobs harder, I mean the time I go there, and the stuff I shoot, I think id be curious too if I were a cop, they never stop me, but its always a hassle,

so, ; the cops told me if I go down and basically introduce myself to the guys ( I dont think there is any such permit) they will put my info there in the system and not bother me either.. WOW that would be a DREAM....
30 minutes spent once to save me an hour each night i shoot...

They actually said they don't want to waste my time and bother me so I should go and say hello to the guy sometime and give him some cards. And actually they told me the only reason they have to be so throughout is they have had cases of people taking pictures that turned out to be seriously planning something, of course they cant tell me details, but why would they lie about that, I mean why bother when they can be out stopping violent crime that happens around there, I think there must be some albeit small, truth to it after all,

Heres the trick, talk to the port police, not the normal police
the port police pull rank on everyone, they have neat weapons and dogs, I think in the future Ill be getting into some cool places if I make some friends in there ...

In the end they are just trying to protect us, It only takes a little talking and then then they want to be on with their business too.. I guess I was taking a too defensive position before, this is like very freeing cause I dont dread the next time a cruiser drives by, I will wave !!!

Ill let you know how the next time goes with this new direction.

its 3 in the darn morning , goodnight...

THORHAMMER, I want you to know that I mean absolutely no disrespect to you in any way shape or form for what I am about to say. For if you have read some of my posts you know what I do for a living. Ok here goes.

DUHHHHH. :D

It can sometimes be amazing what a little straight forward human interaction can do. I have yet in my 26 years as a cop have a single thief, burglar, rapist or serial killer come up to me and introduce themselves to me by name and tell me what crime it is that they normally commit before they went out to commit such a crime. They have something to hide and when they do it makes us suspicious. Just the nature of the work.

I do have to give you some leeway here however due to the area that you live in. Southern California and the Los Angles area especially is it's own little world that seems to be a few degrees off of the norm. Including law enforcement and the courts. :D

You know if you keep this up they may end up taking you to some of the best places possible to get unique views. Have fun.

Hehehe, well played. But as a reader on may I interject that this is exactly part of the problem. Don't take it personally, my brother is a sherif, but I guess 70% of the citizenry don't like cops or at least don't like talking to them. Yet only 0.1% are criminals. The entire 70% (or whatever it actually is) will "seem suspicious" to you good fellows and occasionally get harassed. During the harassment if we try to exercise our constitutional rights (the ones the country was founded on) we often get tazed and arrested.

See the problem?

Hehehe, well played. But as a reader on may I interject that this is exactly part of the problem. Don't take it personally, my brother is a sherif, but I guess 70% of the citizenry don't like cops or at least don't like talking to them. Yet only 0.1% are criminals. The entire 70% (or whatever it actually is) will "seem suspicious" to you good fellows and occasionally get harassed. During the harassment if we try to exercise our constitutional rights (the ones the country was founded on) we often get tazed and arrested.

See the problem?

Communication is certainly at two way street. In my patrol days when I had the time I would routinely stop and just chat with people on my beat if they were out doing yard work, etc. Some of them were a bit freaked out at first because they had never had a cop just stop and shoot the breeze for a couple of minutes. It didn't take long before I was getting waves a greetings from a lot of people on my beat just from that little ice breaker. The greatest boon and the greatest detrament to law enforcement has been the invention of the automobile. It took cops out of the neighborhoods and put them in territory. I once had a beat that covered 12 square miles. That does not make for an area you can easily get to know people.

Communication is certainly at two way street. In my patrol days when I had the time I would routinely stop and just chat with people on my beat if they were out doing yard work, etc. Some of them were a bit freaked out at first because they had never had a cop just stop and shoot the breeze for a couple of minutes. It didn't take long before I was getting waves a greetings from a lot of people on my beat just from that little ice breaker. The greatest boon and the greatest detrament to law enforcement has been the invention of the automobile. It took cops out of the neighborhoods and put them in territory. I once had a beat that covered 12 square miles. That does not make for an area you can easily get to know people.

Wow, sounds like you're an exceptionally good guy! Awesome! We need more of you and less of the B ATF types. :hug::

What do they have you doing now if you're no longer on patrol? You make Detective?

There was a cat once that tried that and he and his buds took down the whole Roman empire. :)

my cat Charlie

2004-2007

c6.jpg

c4.jpg

Wow, sounds like you're an exceptionally good guy! Awesome! We need more of you and less of the B ATF types. :hug::

What do they have you doing now if you're no longer on patrol? You make Detective?

Yep

Btw, I'm really impressed by your photographic development. You have made lemonade there as well - from having no time during the day to being one of the few people really doing good night-time work. Consistency pays off.

Respect.

I'll be back in LA end of next week, once I'm settled in we can get together for a shoot-out.

thaks Iron !

I just finally thought about it like a problem I would solve in sales. Build relationship, you get trust, !

Thanks for the awesome compliments, Im going to go wash my car now IF my head can fit through the doorframe. :lol:

Hit me up when your here, it would be great to shoot together again.

It's needed sometimes but it's not the only way and certainly not the best way to work with them in order to get what you want (photographs, set-up time, and a little space). You'll always catch more flies with honey

Very true, Sure theres time well need to stand up and argue, but Im reserving that for when im told to leave the sidewalk. And I still carry the taser, but I think its just security against muggers, The guys I flashed it at last week said they didn't realize they were crowding me so much and we all got along after that, its weird, easy to get pumped up and emotional, but if they just want to talk and check you out real quickly, what the harm. It just seems to go a lot further then being vague and tight lipped.

Every situation is different, if they were investigating a crime and the cop wanted to pin it on me, and I sensed this attitude, i wouldnt give any details whatsoever and I would wait for my lawyer, BUT after meeting these guys that problem will prob never ever happen.

I drove away feeling , yeah I should have done this earlier. I mean its not like im actually doing anything wrong.

Most reactions

Back