totally confused

Color reversal film is also known as color positive film. It is slide film only.
Sometimes somewhat accurately called “tungsten film.” Photographic film not made of tungsten but balanced for the colour of light from a tungsten bulb. ie: the film assumes that light from a tungsten bulb is white.
Most commonly available as type B, which has a colour temperature of 3200K. Less common is type A film, which has a colour temperature of 3400K. Tungsten film is usually slide film, though more recently tungsten-balanced print film has become available. Kodak makes (or did, not sure if they still do) a 500T color negative film. There are also corrective filters to use for incandescent lighting such as a Wratten 85. The other alternative is the very effective way of color correcting your standard color film images in Photoshop.

Why wouldnt you do some research or ask more question about the film you want? Asking for tungsten film and not knowing its slide is like asking for Tri-X and not knowing its black and white.

Reversal film is reversal film and negative film is negative film.
Tungsten balanced, or Type B, has nothing to do with it.
Type B neg film has been available from Kodak and Agfa for more than 40 years. It was always in the professional section though.
Type B transparency is a new one on me.
The problem would seem to be with your assistant who, when asked for Type B, should have said 'neg or tranny?'.
The only advice I can give is before buying something new, do your homework as you can't rely on anyone else to know what they are talking about.
Slides will scan in to a computer quite nicely though.

remember if the word chrome is in the name of the film it is reversal or slide or transparency film. You haven't seen slide film in 30 years? That is amazing in itself. Besides digital slide film is used fairly often in the pro to semi pro world.

I'd want my money back. Tungsten=slide?! WTH?

But then I'd do some research before buying so I'd know what type of film I want.

You haven't seen slide film in 30 years? That is amazing in itself.
LOL :lmao:

Thanks all

First of all, I've been misquoted. I said " I have not seen a slide for 30 years! "

I meant " a slide" as in the viewing of slides in one of those old kodak carousel thingys

BernieSC thought I said"You haven't seen slide film in 30 years? "

OK that cleared up.

I visited fujifilms web site. Here is a good document that cleared up some stuff

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/bin/ProfessionalFilmDataGuide.pdf

notably this quote from that document
"
The reversal and negative films produced by the Fuji Photo Film
Company are identified and described in the following pages. Reversal
films designed for professional use are designated "FUJICHROME
Professional" while amateur reversal films are designated simply
"FUJICHROME." Negative films designed for special uses are
designated "FUJICOLOR Professional", while amateur negative films
are simply designated "FUJICOLOR."
"

From reading that doc I now think that I have been misinformed at the time of purchase of that roll of film Here is the film that the sales poerson gave me
http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductTungsten.jsp?NavBarId=subitem778817

My only words to the salesperson were "I need tungsten film" And I got the above film. Now this store has been in business for 30 years and some of the original staff still works there. How could I have been dupeed like that unless they were waiting for a sucker to ask for that type of flim:grumpy: ?

My only words to the salesperson were "I need tungsten film" And I got the above film.

You asked for Tungsten film, and you got Tungsten film. If you didn't specify whether you wanted slide or negs, and didn't check whether what you got was slide or negs, then I don't see how you you can claim to have been misinformed. If you had asked for Tungsten negatives and got slide film, then you'd have been misinformed...

Besides... why would any store want to deliberately dupe you like that??? They'd have still sold you a roll of negative film, if that's what you'd asked for...

McQillen has a point...

Can I just add that slide film is beautiful? and ive asked for some for christmas...id think it was a pleasent surprise...

I edited the last line of my last post to clear up a little confusion

Also my very first post of the thread says that this was I type B film My mistake it was not type B it was
http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductTungsten.jsp?NavBarId=subitem778817
film

-----
j_mcquillen says
"
Besides... why would any store want to deliberately dupe you like that??? They'd have still sold you a roll of negative film, if that's what you'd asked for...
"

Well the point is, it costs way more to get slides made as they had to send them across province(from BC to Alberta) to get them done. Now the store that sold me the film makes a cut of that price don't they?
Not only that but they might well know that 99 times out of a 100 the customer wants PRINTS not slides and there is an additional charge for the conversion of slides to prints, so they are being shrewd if not outright devious. I'll be lucky to get my prints done for less than 100 dollars(20 measly pictures)

And additionally, that roll of film cost 15 dollars plus tax and they make a cut off that too.

I would in most cases never pay them and just give them the slides back, but these were fairly important pictures that I can't retake.

I would not consider this being duped at all... IMO slide film generally is significantly better quality than negative film, and it is pretty much all I shoot when I'm not doing B&W. Yes it costs more than negative film to purchase and to process, but that's because the manufacturer charges more for it and it's more complicated to process. Similarly, it's more complicated to make prints from slides. So this is not the lab's fault at all. You asked for tungsten film, and you got tungsten film. It's always a good idea to research the film you're going to buy before you buy it, so that you can go to the counter and say "I want fuji 64T Type II Tungsten film", and know exactly know what you'll be getting. If I go into a shop and ask for "daylight film" and get ISO 25 film, I can't complain to them for motion blur in my photos, can I? And if you are buying a film you're unfamiliar with, ask questions about it. I bet if you had asked the salesperson about 64T, one of the first things they would have told you is that it's slide film, assuming they're actually knowledgable in photography (unlike those at some big chain photo stores and/or drugstore photo counters; no offense to anyone who works at those places).

But anyway... have you taken a look at the slides? How do they look?

filum said:
I edited the last line of my last post to clear up a little confusion

Also my very first post of the thread says that this was I type B film My mistake it was not type B it was
film

-----
j_mcquillen says
"
"

Well the point is, it costs way more to get slides made as they had to send them across province(from BC to Alberta) to get them done. Now the store that sold me the film makes a cut of that price don't they?
Not only that but they might well know that 99 times out of a 100 the customer wants PRINTS not slides and there is an additional charge for the conversion of slides to prints, so they are being shrewd if not outright devious. I'll be lucky to get my prints done for less than 100 dollars(20 measly pictures)

And additionally, that roll of film cost 15 dollars plus tax and they make a cut off that too.

I would in most cases never pay them and just give them the slides back, but these were fairly important pictures that I can't retake.

The store may get a cut, but I bet you a lot that the salesman doesnt get a cut or even gets to see that money (if it was a big shop...if it was a one man banned I dunno...)

Say for example jessops, they arent gonna trick you because they get paid the same whether they sell you a £5 film or a £1 film...

You asked for tungsten film, you got tungsten film. I don't see the conspiracy that you see.

filum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had to do some indoor pictures and bought a roll of tungsten film
It was fujichrome type B colour reversal film. Not knowing what "colour reversal" film was I took pictures and sent it in to get developed.

The suprise came when I went to pick up the prints THEY WERE SLIDES
I did not want slides I wanted colour prints! Now I have to pay extra money to get the conversion from slides to prints

I mean, I have not seen a slide for 30 years! :grumpy:

Quizzing the salesperson who sold me the film I said " What is tungsten film?"
she said " it is slide film"

My dispute here is this: Was that an accurate statement of the sales person?. Are all tungsten films - slide films, or have I been duped somewhat on purpose as to have been sold this film without being informed of what kind of film it was.

Should I pay this extra money? as I did not originally ask for slide film.

Ok PROS up to you now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back