Tough Edit

Thank you for posting that link. I am going to see if I can sign up, although, having two daughters of my own, I am not sure I will be able to handle it. I would love to be able to offer that to some families though. :(

Oh wow, this really breaks my heart and scares me too. I am 32 weeks pg right now and the thought of that happening just absolutely terrifies me. :( How very sad for that family. I am so sorry they are going through this.

I think you did a great job on the edits though and the family will really treasue that.

We lost our first child, and knowing our grief and the emotional upheval of the joy/terror/wistfulness when our second came along was what prompted me to volunteer for NILMDTS. Our 2nd spent her first week in the NICU, and it was a near thing for her first few hours. Seeing some of those babies in the NICU was just heart-wrenching.

Yeah, this was kind of tough for me, b/c the wife is 26 weeks along now.

Sharkbait, I'm sorry to hear about your first child. As a father I can't even imagine what it must have been like.

NILMDTS seems like such an awesome organization. I'm still trying to figure out what the requirements are to be a part. Sharkbait, do you know if you have to be a pro or not?

ShutteredEye said:

Sharkbait, I'm sorry to hear about your first child. As a father I can't even imagine what it must have been like.

NILMDTS seems like such an awesome organization. I'm still trying to figure out what the requirements are to be a part. Sharkbait, do you know if you have to be a pro or not?
I know of someone who has done this, and I think they want to see a portfolio....just an assurance that you know your way around a camera. Exceedingly emotional work.

Beautiful job overall, Robert. They will cherish these. It could not have been an easy task, but you helped give them a gift. :hug::

Being a mother of 4 boys, this was very hard to see. I sat here and cried before I could post - it really hit me hard and touched me. Very strong images Robert, you did a great job editing for your friends. My heart and sympathies go out to them.

ShutteredEye said:
Not going nuts with worry was one of the hardest things when Kel was pregnant that 2nd time. But you have to just force yourself into the frame of mind that you're going to enjoy this time of pregnancy. Take great photos, feel the little one kick and squirm in there (ours kicked the remote off of Kel's belly when we put it there. :lol: ), and push all the what-ifs out of your head.

Pretty much, yeah. As part of the application process they ask about your equipment, your experience (especially with child and infant photography), and what you'll provide to the parents (CD with images, prints, etc.). I just wrote a letter to them...
Dear Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep:

Recently I was given the address to your website. After reading some of the stories (and
going through many tissues), I would like to offer my photographic services to your
organization. My wife and I had a miscarriage with our first pregnancy, and I make this
decision on the day our first child would have turned one. We were able to conceive again
quickly, but after a normal pregnancy we almost lost Molly on her first night with us; she had
difficulty clearing the amniotic fluid from her lungs and had to be intubated a short time after
birth.

Going through that hellish week of seeing Molly in the NICU, sharing our fears with the other
parents there, I can only begin to comprehend the grief and terror parents go through when
they see their children slipping further downhill instead of climbing back toward health.Thankfully, our Molly is now eight months old and healthy.

I believe helping parents through their time of grief through my photography would be one of
the most challenging, heart-wrenching experiences of my life. But I firmly believe it would be
the most valuable as well.

Regarding the more technical details, I shoot all Canon digital equipment, and am an
experienced wedding photojournalist, sports photographer, and studio portrait photographer
My website and business contact information are listed below; my home phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX. I can provide parents with a CD-ROM with a slideshow of their images, as well as the
full-sized digital image files.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
They contacted me a couple days later and we just went from there.

Most reactions

Back