Tourist or Terrorist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which is it Socrates.. are times changing or are they staying the same????

My point is that 9-11 and the events of recent years do not need to violate and take away freedoms we have enjoyed for decades. Times have not changed.. the world has not changed.. it is the same crap happening through all of history. Similar 9/11's have occured throughout history. We must just improve things without violation of precious rights. Claiming that 9/11 is such a unique terrible event is pretty arrogant American notion... and that we all should resort to giving up our rights is just plain stupid.

Those American Japanese Citizens probably never thought in their entire lives that their own government would force into internment. So you thinking that I could end up in jail for a protesting against the government is paranoid?

I'm off the soap box... exit stage right..
You're confusing separate posts. The threat has changed drastically but the limits on our rights has not. The events of 9-11 has not violated or taken away freedoms that we have enjoyed for decades.

By the way, some of us do believe that the largest mass murder in American history is certainly a serious event.

AND I believe the US government got sued and paid for it.

Personally, I have no problems with "internment of Japanese citizens/nationals" during WWII. Yeah, "for their protection" is just an excuse, and may even have a bit of truth ... BUT you must agree it was the safest course of action. Only valid arguement anyone can have is that the same action was not duplicated against those with "German/Italian ancestors".

You are comparing actions against a race of people with actions against people with cameras. Too often photographers/journalists use "First Amendment Rights" to defend their actions.

I find it sad when nations we consider "enemies" no longer need to spy on us. All they have to do is turn on CNN.

Like I said, I am not saying who is right or wrong - am saying, I do not mind giving up some rights to ensure my family is safe.

The next time it happens, I hope they come for you and your family.

Hey Socs, Abraxas is right. In fact, I don't believe you own a camera.

Tell you what, guys, how about we all pitch in and get Socs a camera. It will give him something to do in his spare time.

Personally, I have no problems with "internment of Japanese citizens/nationals" during WWII. Yeah, "for their protection" is just an excuse, and may even have a bit of truth ... BUT you must agree it was the safest course of action. Only valid arguement anyone can have is that the same action was not duplicated against those with "German/Italian ancestors".

Did I just read this correctly?????

You have no problems with the imprisonment of any citizen because of race, religion, nationality, political stance, or anything else? Please elaborate on this stance... Practically all tyrannical political regimes employ this tactic.

You do realize there were US service men who were of Japanese, German and Italian ancestry. Could you just imagine the feelings of betrayal knowing you are putting you life on the line for a country that just imprisoned your family.

OMG this is freakin hopeless....

You're confusing separate posts. The threat has changed drastically but the limits on our rights has not. ...

Dude, you need a hobby... At least to get out more. Maybe go take some pictures. I won't chip in for a camera for you though, get a job.

WTF do you contribute to this site?

Hey Socs, Abraxas is right. In fact, I don't believe you own a camera.

Tell you what, guys, how about we all pitch in and get Socs a camera. It will give him something to do in his spare time.

Obviously you're still unable to answer the question and this is your way to deflect that inability.

Well put Samriel....

I am constantly amazed at the quantity of persons that criticize America while, at the same time, beg for an opportunity to emigrate here and, if already here, refuse to leave.

If you believe that America is so bad, why are you still here? Just think of all the other wonderful places you could go to.

I am constantly amazed at the quantity of persons that criticize America while, at the same time, beg for an opportunity to emigrate here and, if already here, refuse to leave.

If you believe that America is so bad, why are you still here? Just think of all the other wonderful places you could go to.

That's just moronic. Usayit has the right to be here.

Obviously you're still unable to answer the question and this is your way to deflect that inability.

To tell you the truth, I am not sure what question you are talking about. If you are referring to the statement Thor made, I think he was being a bit sarcastic, don't you? I mean, if this is the question you are talking about- is that all that worries you?

You know, you keep telling everyone to leave. Not gonna happen, pal. I love my country. I simply want her to be the best she can be, and right now, she is headed down the wrong path. The best remedy for all true patriots is stay here and help get this ship on the right course.

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in a place where they can tell you what to do, what to think, and who to constantly fear.

You're a troll Socks.

You're confusing separate posts. The threat has changed drastically but the limits on our rights has not. The events of 9-11 has not violated or taken away freedoms that we have enjoyed for decades.

Soc, your posts are difficult to follow.. I don't believe I am confusing posts... your posts are just plain confusing. If I say we shouldn't violate liberties for security, you say it is a different more dangerous world than previous years (and you say I'm paranoid). If I say that freedom of speech zones are a threat, you say that it is no different than previous years.

It is a fact that we enjoy less freedoms after in the post 9/11 era. You simply have to do a little research at the library or the internet to find numerous articles on the topic. You can start by the far reaching powers granted by the USA Patriot Act. American Civil Liberties Union also has a few articles posted on their website.

In the TPF alone, how many threads must we read about the ever eroding rights of photographers?

By the way, some of us do believe that the largest mass murder in American history is certainly a serious event.

Any more serious than the innocent lives lost as the result of American policy in current and past? Are you implying that the events of that day are of greater importance because it was American lives?

Booo.... another photography discussion goes out the window in favour of a strictly political one, tell me how has imigration got ANYTHING to do with your rights as a photographer?... VERY dodgy ground and i suggest you back off that right away.

So rather than lock this one.. i will try and get the subject back on track with a question.

FAER, FEAR and more FEAR... here's a question for you... where is the proof that ANY questioning of a photographer, terrorist or not, has had any contribution to the prevention or apprehension or terrorists or terrorist activity?

I am constantly amazed by the quantity of persons that feel that criticizing American policy is considered being unpatriotic. It is the core what is to be American to question the actions of big government. It is the reason why the brilliant Father's of this country placed safeguards within the Constitution. The right to free speech (protest). The checks and balances within the government. The notion of Separation of church and state.

If you believe American is so good, then why don't you stand up for those ideals that are systematically being dismantled. Samreil is right.... our Father's were paranoid of big corrupt government... there should be more of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back