Toxic

pursuer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im just getting back into the hobbie after a fairly long absence. Im not sure about the border and if the weather ever cooperates I would like to reshoot it with a backdrop of stars. What do you think?

toxic1em.jpg

umm.... wow... wha'ts going on with that white stuff in the sky? it looks like natural disasters are destroying the cityscape... is that just smoke from factories?

very interesting shot. border looks fine, but it's the same color as everything it's encapsulating... so it doesn't really add much to the shot either. possibly a dark red border or something that will bring more in the picture out?

Its an oil refinery, the white stuff is mainly steam. This was actually two exposures combined. One 30 second exposure for the steam and a much shorter one for the refinery lights.

I will try some different border colors and see if I can find somthing a little better.

The border is fine. I wonder how it would be with the outer color a bit deeper, but I like it like this. This is a breathtaking photograph. The sky is amazing.

Tell us a bit about how you made it. Is this film? What format?

Wow. I think that sums it up for me. Wow.

-Pete Christie

Thanks, I took this just after dark using a canon digital rebel and the kit lens at 55mm. The first exposure was 30 seconds, f/8 at ISO 200 The second was 0.8 seconds. I combined the two images in photoshop CS. I have a few more shots I will post in the gallery after I get a chance to resise them.

beautiful...looks like you haven't lost your touch

Cracking long exposure of the steam/smoke. Something that is on my list of things to do... It'll be a good deal sooner now this has spurred me on.
Only one thing I can criticise, the pylon being in front of the base of the largest plume of steam, a little annoying... Otherwise Great!!!

This is just ONE great photo of a refinery! Pylon or no pylon ... it doesn't distract me at all, to the contrary, I say.
I showed this one to my husband who works in a refinery and therefore likes these "buildings" and he was deeply, deeply impressed!
So am I!
I wish I had at least an INKLING of how to put two versions of the same motif together in one picture. But I no longer even have any photo processing software running...

very nice! i wish we had something around here like that (at least i cant think of any) so I can get something like this for my portfolio.

i think stars might be too much, but i incourage you to try anyway because you never know :)

yes. nice pic. the only thing i say is that towards the middle it looks like there is a plume coming from the powerline. i don't know about a clear night as the overcast adds to the feel of pollution. maybe more dramatic clouds instead of kind of solid blanket would get it done for you. real nice.

You're right, a starry sky would look incredible, but I love what you've got here.

Thanks everyone, you guys are too kind.

Nicely composed, beautifully captured image. Great job.

Tuna

Most reactions

New Topics

Back