Not open for further replies.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
PLEASE, NO SPIN-OFF THREADS. RESPECT US TO THAT EXTENT.

What?
Someone has a crappy lens, manual focus and it's old. They're willing to donate this gem to the photographic world to see what people can come up with along its travels from one person to the next. The lens will be This one, donated by TPF member, Derrel.

How?
This person will shoot the first photo of this adventure. Then ship the lens to the first person in line the lens witha an additional $10 in the box with the lens. The $10 will cover shipping of the lens from the second person. The second person will then take the lens on adventures, shoot whatever their heart desires and can be kept for up to, but no longer than 7 days to keep it moving and interesting. At the end of their length, they will put the lens in a box, pay for shipping by use of the original $10 they recieved with the lens, and ship the lens plus an additional $10 in order to restart this cycle. This will continue in this manner until everyone has had their chance with the lens, then it can be shipped back to the original owner, or continue to be shipped around.

When?
Starts Right Now!

PM me if you're interested in being a part of this - it should be fun!

1. Names will be added in this post in the order they are received.
2. Once you receive the lens let me know so I can mark your name as the current holder of the lens.
3. Shoot your photos
4. Arrange shipping with the next person in line.

Rules:
You can keep the lens for up to, but please do not exceed 7 days
Upload a maximum of 5 photos to the pool
You must geotag at least one of the photos submitted to the pool
At least one of the photos must represent the place where you live. These type of photos are the ones that should be geotagged.

Last but not least:
The Photo Forum and it's members are not liable for anything! Should the lens be lost in shipment, broken, misplaced, forgotten, eaten by the dog, sold on eBay, buried, trashed, rolled off the roof of a car, dropped down the stairs, drowned, flushed, or otherwise ruined or gone in any way, shape or form, etc, etc, etc, the game is over unless another lens is put into action to replace it.

Note:
You will most likely need to switch your camera to Manual mode to use this lens. It will work on ALL AF NIKONS ever made from 1986 to 2010... it will not autofocus on the 5 Baby models, but it will meter! And the AF confirm light will light up when she hits focus!

This will be a US only deal. If a member from any other nation/country would like to contribute, you will have to find a copy of this lens to use there, and pass around your country. It has to be the same model, and youre welcome to post the photos in the pool.

Those who are on the list, please sign up for the group and include your TPF member name for verification.
Flickr_Group_Map
How_To_Geotag_Your_Photos
List of confirmed members participating:
(Red= In Posession - Black = Waiting - Green = Completed)
Markw
ajkramer87
DirtyDFeckers
anotherchris
Boomer
edouble
fast eddie
Foggy Lens
Kundalini
Phiya
SwissJ
DirtyDFeckers
12sndsgood
Hardrock
Markw
Stephen.C
OrionsByte
Stoogley
vanessaadams
MCerasoli
white
SilverEF88
480Sparky

I will update this post with new information and constantly change the participants list, so be sure to check back frequently. Thank you everyone for participating. Lets try to make this thing as great as possible, please treat the lens responsibly and respectfully.

Thank you,
Mark

Last edited:
The lens was officially shipped out today everyone! This thing is officially on!

That being said, there has been a 'Rules' section added to the original post.

Mark

isn't derrel donating the lens? shouldn't his name be on the list as the first person?

I know that he donated the lens, but I'm not even sure he is participating in this thing.

I felt that since Markw began the thread, that HE should go first, and that I should be the last person to shoot the lens. I suggested the name of the thread, TPF Across America: The Journey of One Lens Across the USA, and Markw agreed that'd be an okay title for this project,and he decided on the final name when he made this post. I shipped the lens and a $10 bill off to Markw yesterday, along with a Nikon M2 non-meter coupled extension tube, a blue drawstring bag, a Nikon lens cap, and a Tamron for Nikon low-profile rear lens cap.

This lens has no A/M switch on it, and it will mount and shoot photos on basically any film or digital Nikon or Nikkormat body made from 1959 to the present day, which is the reason I suggested this particular lens. The 35-70mm f/3.3~4.5 is from the very first series of AF Nikkor lenses that Nikon released in 1986. This lens dates to the pre-1989 period. This lens was the very first autofocus Nikkor lens I ever bought. I hope it and the M-2 extension tube eventually make their way back to me, and if they make it back, then I will shoot a few pics with it and upload them to the Flickr group.

I hope a bunch of TPF members participate in this project,and have fun doing it.

Want to say thanks to derrel for being willing to donate this lens. I cant wait to try it out. It sounds like its about as old as I am. Should be interesting. I all ready have some ideas that Id like try out. Looks like we only have 7 people doing it. We need some more to join in.

Thanks Derrel for covering all that.

We do only have 7 people as of now, but if all seven of those people keep the lens for the full week allotted, with shipping times and everything, these seven people will hold us up for almost 3 months. Thats plenty of time to get some more people on board. I think that it is also a problem that it is posted in the 'Challenge' forum. Not many venture over here.

Either way, I am super excited to be getting this thing on the road, thanks to Derrel, and for everyone volunteering to participate.

Thanks again everyone!
Mark

Sounds sweet, but not sure about 2 things. I have never geo tagged a photo before. Yeah seen special things to buy for my old D90 but never got it as I think it was around 200. Not sure if there is one for the 50D. Also what mount is this lens for?

It is a Nikon mount, it is posted in Derrel's post 4 up from your post. :)

Thanks Derrel for covering all that.

We do only have 7 people as of now, but if all seven of those people keep the lens for the full week allotted, with shipping times and everything, these seven people will hold us up for almost 3 months. Thats plenty of time to get some more people on board. I think that it is also a problem that it is posted in the 'Challenge' forum. Not many venture over here.

Either way, I am super excited to be getting this thing on the road, thanks to Derrel, and for everyone volunteering to participate.

Thanks again everyone!
Mark

No, it's because you're leaving out all us Canon users. :grumpy:

J/K. ;)

I still have a D40 here so it will give me reason to pull it out. Its actually a fun litle camera. I saw a Jobo geotag going for 150 on amazon so think it's time I get one and this little adventure seemed like a good excuse. PM sent

Pretty sure most people Geotag in editing after the event - lightroom I think allows you to and flickr has geotagging options as well - so you can easily tag the location after the shoot.

As for the lens I'm sure canon people can use it - just gotta be creative and use an adaptor ring of ebay (or if you're fancy get a novoflex adaptor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back