lights_zps32f24ad1.jpg

04. Untitled #1
sun_zps59cbaaac.jpg

05. A Stilled Life
car_zps1c88e827.jpg

06. Still Romantic
unnamed_zps970d78cf.jpg

Great job guys!

Voted for what I thought best represented "still life", what seemed creative and seemed to me to be more than a snap shot. It's obvious I'm not artistic or creative because to me some of these don't in anyway represent "still life".

I would love to hear from anyone that could explain how each image represents "still life".

VOTE!!!!!!please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted for what I thought best represented "still life", what seemed creative and seemed to me to be more than a snap shot. It's obvious I'm not artistic or creative because to me some of these don't in anyway represent "still life".

I would love to hear from anyone that could explain how each image represents "still life".

...you get my vote,shefjr!

I'm probably coming off like an ass but, that's not my intent. I just don't get it. Sincerly, no offense to anyone who participated. I'm sure the participants have reason for choosing these images as still life. I just wish.... Maybe I wasn't such a dolt... Or... I don't know. I guess I'm not artsy and creative enough to get it. Simply put, I must be simple minded.

Again, I welcome anyone to enlighten me. I really would appreciate it. Or maybe even when this is done those who submitted could give reason for why they chose the image they put up.

...i'm not so sure we're off base on this,john.Prior to quoting you,i google "still life",just to be sure what you and i consider (perhaps i'm assuming about you) "still life" is in fact the general consensus.

I'm probably coming off like an ass but, that's not my intent. I just don't get it. Sincerly, no offense to anyone who participated. I'm sure the participants have reason for choosing these images as still life. I just wish.... Maybe I wasn't such a dolt... Or... I don't know. I guess I'm not artsy and creative enough to get it. Simply put, I must be simple minded.

Again, I welcome anyone to enlighten me. I really would appreciate it. Or maybe even when this is done those who submitted could give reason for why they chose the image they put up.

^^^^....that being said,i'm in the same boat with you.

I'm right with ya bud. I don't think you're coming off as an ass at all - you are presenting your opinion in a respectful manor. I also think you are being a bit hard on yourself.

That said, I have struggled understanding some of the submissions in this contest and previous ones as well. I like to think I have a pretty open and creative mind but I think a lot of the times submissions just 'look cool' and don't take into account the actual topic at hand. Nevertheless, I do enjoy the contests - my two cents. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm right with ya bud. I don't think you're coming off as an ass at all - you are presenting your opinion in a respectful manor. I also think you are being a bit hard on yourself.

That said, I have struggled understanding some of the submissions in this contest and previous ones as well. I like to think I have a pretty open and creative mind but I think a lot of the times submissions just 'look cool' and don't take into account the actual topic at hand. Nevertheless, I do enjoy the contests - my two cents. Cheers.

I’ve quietly been thinking this myself in some of these competitions, but I never said anything because I couldn’t think of a way to bring it up without it translating as “waaaah, I didn’t win”. That, of course, is not the point, and I feel sort of vindicated by the fact that others are mentioning they feel the same way. Ultimately, all I really wish for is to keep with the spirit of the competition—which I interpret as “creativity under mandated constraints”.

I realize there is an “open to interpretation” clause right there in the contest rules—which, in theory, provides a great deal of “creative license” to the entrants—but I must admit I get a bit disappointed when I see a photo raking in the votes even though its connection to the theme at hand is highly questionable at best, and completely indiscernible at worst.

I’m left with the feeling that the best chance at success in this contest comes from grabbing the sharpest and most perfectly exposed photo one can, and slapping on a title that tenuously links it to the theme.

I’ve seen it lamented on TPF by certain members that there is an inordinate amount of attention paid here to the technical side of photography and a disappointing lack of attention paid to the creative side. In my opinion, these contests support that observation.

There have been several submissions over the months where I’ve said to myself “wow…. great photo…”, and have sat and stared at it for a considerable length of time to study the details, but ultimately couldn’t in good conscience vote for it because I saw no link to the theme. I can only hope that others are doing the same.

To be clear, I realize people are free to vote as they please, just as I am; I’m just providing my thoughts on this because it was brought up.

I think it'd be cool if a one-liner describing the link to the theme is required as part of submissions.

Last edited:
One of this month's photos is mine so I will reserve my thoughts on this until the contest is called, but when it is and if you're really interested, I'd be happy to discuss my motivations for taking and submitting the photo that is shown.

I just want to throw it out here that I appreciate all that the Mods are doing for us members. I don't want my complaining to come off demeaning to what they do for us in these challenges. I am simply voicing my concern. I have not yet participated in any of the challenges. However, I did plan on it for the month of December because I actually have ideas! Yay me! lol. After looking back at some of the previous challenges I don't feel like there is currently credibility to the challenge because it seems, as others have already stated above, that the naming of the challenge really means nothing as long as the photograph looks good. I may be being over dramatic but, for example this month let say someone like Majeed throws up one of his beautiful landscape photos and calls it "hanging from my refrigerator". His photo no doubt may be beautiful and represent all the proper technical aspects of a perfect photo but, does that mean it should be allowed to be entered into the challenge? I personally would say no.

I know the mods already have their hands full but, I would submit to them that maybe they be allowed a little discretion in the "creative license" part of the challenge. Maybe they already reject some and I'm just unaware. I feel like if this were done then it would give the challenge a little more credibility. Thank you again mods. :thumbup: :hail: :hugs:

Of course this is my personal opinion and you can all tell me to go pound salt and I will not be offended.:wink:

Leonore, I appreciate your offer to discuss your motivations for your photo. I may be interested depending on which photo is yours. If it is one that I don't feel qualifies (in my minds eye) for the "still life" challenge, I would be open to learning where you came from to call your image still life. I have already voted so knowing which photos is yours will not change which photo I have voted for. If you would like to PM me at your convenience I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back