TPF Photo Challenge -July '13 - "Meme"

mishele

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this month, we have decided to set the challenge theme as "Meme". Let's see if we can come up with a funny set of TPF memes!! Please keep in mind that these themes are meant to be subjective. Think outside the box and get creative! Good luck to everyone! We can't wait to see what you come up with!!

For all those who wish to participate in this challenge please take a moment to read through the following:

• Any registered member of The Photo Forum may enter, though anyone foolish enough to be responsible for running the silly thing is not eligible to win.
  • New challenges will be posted on or around the first of each month.
  • Themes are intended to have some measure of flexibility. This is an art thing, folks! Do what you think is right and run with it!
  • The challenge will remain open to new submissions until precisely midnight GMT on the last calendar day of the month.
  • Within five days the images will be assembled for viewing and posted as a display and voting poll. Members of TPF will be allowed to vote for their favorite image. Polls will remain open for one full week.
  • The winner will be announced at the end of the voting week.
  • In the event of the tie, the moderators will select a winner.
  • There are currently no prizes being offered, but we're hoping to change that. Bear with us and be sure to heckle as many moderators about this as humanly possible.
  • I like monkeys.
  • It is at the sole discretion of the challenge moderators to accept or reject any image submitted for any reason they deem appropriate.
  • All images must not have been previously posted to TPF, and ideally should be taken during the challenge month. (The idea is to get folks out and thinking about new ways to shoot!)
  • Images must be emailed to [email protected]. All submitted photos must include a form that needs to be completed. A copy of the form will be posted each month.
  • Images can be no larger than 500k. All images must be 700 pixels long on their long edge. No edge of the image can exceed 700 pixels.
  • Images submitted must be anonymous and must bear no markings or indications of who the image belongs to. Watermarks, names and copyrights embedded in IEXIF information, etc. count as identification and such images will be rejected.
  • Images must be owned by the submitter and copyrighted or trademarked works from another party will not be accepted.

>>>>>>>>>> Copy and Paste this form into your submission email <<<<<<<<<<

ThePhotoForum.com Username:

* Photo Title (optional):

Has this photo been posted before on The Photo Forum? Y/N
>>>>>>>>>> End of form <<<<<<<<<<

Please enter your email subject as "July '13 Photo Challenge Submission"

All photos must include the form when submitted. Just copy and paste it into your email. This will ensure that no mistakes are made when photos are submitted and therefore, hopefully, no photos are excluded. If the form is not included in the submission email the photo will not be included in the challenge gallery and voting process.

Good luck!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet. Ill make some time this month.

What the hell is a meme?

According to Wikipedia: A meme (/&#712;mi&#720;m/; meem)[SUP][1][/SUP] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."

Another site says "
A meme (rhymes with "team") behaves like a flu or a cold virus, traveling from person to person quickly, but transmitting an idea instead of a lifeform. According to Cecil Adams of theStraightDope.com, the concept of memes "is either really deep, or really, really obvious".

Memes are those photos with captions that are wildly popular on the internets--like the "I Can Haz Cheezeburger" cat.

Cr*p. I had two really good ideas for last month but I never got them submitted because...well, because someone came along and erased part of my June without my knowledge. I'm sure of it, because there is NO WAY in Hades it should be July yet. :lmao:

Now for this month's...this is going to be hard for a literalist like me. How do you create a "meme," which by its very definition should be something already wildly popular and recognizable, and yet think "out of the box?" For that matter, how do you create a meme at all? I mean, I understand the mechanics of putting text on a picture--but I can't just CREATE a meme, really. It only becomes a meme after it catches on and is wildly popular and well-known. So really, we're not creating memes, we're creating Meme-ables. :lmao:

[NOTE: While I *am* a literalist, and these thoughts DID pop into my head when I saw this was the theme, the above consternation about it was merely for the purpose of entertaining the troops. :D ]

So really, we're not creating memes, we're creating Meme-ables.

You're not creating a meme - you're creating a depiction of a meme.

If a meme is an idea/behavior - you're just creating the picture that conveys the existing idea/behavior.

I can think of a few TPF specific ones pretty easily... ("First post, what camera do I need to shoot a wedding tomorrow" threads, for example - and now I can't use that one, lol.)

do we have to add text? or is this picture only?

Last edited by a moderator:
"meme" is actually a word with several definitions now, which helps make this theme pretty good.

do we have to add text? or is this picture only?
First sorry...hit edit post instead of reply w/ quote....hehe
Second, you have the theme...now it's yours!! Do whatever you want w/ it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back