Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have ever shot a Traditional Jewish Wedding?
I will be shooting one in +- 1 month, and wondered if anyone has any lighting ideas for the "Chuppah" (A canopy mounted on 4 poles, that sits above the Bride, Groom, Rabbi, parents and other participants, under which the actual Wedding ceremony is performed). I don't think I can put the lights under the Chuppah itself, and having lighting around the Chuppah means the lighting has to be lower than the canopy, which will be in the way of the crowd, and the crowd will be in the way of the lighting.
So, if anyone has any ideas, I would be most appreciative.
The only thing I can think of, is to use off camera flash mounted on a bracket.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas,

Thanks,

Bruce

No, I've never done one, but from what I've seen these 'chuppahs' are pretty much like fancy versions of those little garden tents people have to keep the rain off at parties; could you ball-bungee a couple of speedlights to the legs firing up and into the canopy? That would be subtle enough it shouldn't bother anyone.

No, I've never done one, but from what I've seen these 'chuppahs' are pretty much like fancy versions of those little garden tents people have to keep the rain off at parties; could you ball-bungee a couple of speedlights to the legs firing up and into the canopy? That would be subtle enough it shouldn't bother anyone.

Great idea!! I'm going to have to experiment with that before their big day.

What I would start with is a couple of speedlights on triggers, one on each "front" leg, facing the couple, and firing into the canopy. If possible, get an idea of the colour and height/size of the canopy as you may need to gel your lights.

What I would start with is a couple of speedlights on triggers, one on each "front" leg, facing the couple, and firing into the canopy. If possible, get an idea of the colour and height/size of the canopy as you may need to gel your lights.

If I'm not mistaken, most chuppah's are white, but I'll find out the color just in case I need to gel the lights.
Great suggestions as usual, thanks so much.

This is the ticket (man I hate these things).

If you can manage it you might rig a speedlight to bounce back to a reflector (super clamp on a lightweight rod that's lashed to the inside of the tent with a short extender and an umbrella holder for a speedlight to aim the light into the reflector) gaffer taped to the inside of the tent.

If you're clever you can even put some foam or a wad of newspaper in the middle of the reflector to make it convex and spread the light even further -not too much though.

If you can manage all of this then consider having one in front and another in back for a kicker.

Good luck

you'll need it. ;)

This is the ticket (man I hate these things).

If you can manage it you might rig a speedlight to bounce back to a reflector (super clamp on a lightweight rod that's lashed to the inside of the tent with a short extender and an umbrella holder for a speedlight to aim the light into the reflector) gaffer taped to the inside of the tent.

If you're clever you can even put some foam or a wad of newspaper in the middle of the reflector to make it convex and spread the light even further -not too much though.

If you can manage all of this then consider having one in front and another in back for a kicker.

Good luck

you'll need it. ;)

Hi Mike E
Thanks for the reply.
Interesting ideas, I think I'm going to have to see the structure first, so I can see which ideas would work.

To flesh it out a little for you, you can use 2 or 3 foot sections of 1/2 inch pvc and some 90^0 elbows to make a double rail which will make it easier to zip-tie to the inner structure and also to keep it from twisting.

good luck

I'm not a wedding photographer, but I'm Jewish.

You need to either see or get a description of the chuppa, because they vary dramatically. Do a Google image search and you'll see what I mean -- at my wedding, it was four poles that had to be held by four people, and there's no way you could have put lighting inside of it.

The best thing is if they let you see it a week in advance, so you can experiment with how to light it. I think that one or two slaved strobes with diffusers pointed upwards would produce beautiful lighting, but it will depends on the design.

I'm not a wedding photographer, but I'm Jewish.

You need to either see or get a description of the chuppa, because they vary dramatically. Do a Google image search and you'll see what I mean -- at my wedding, it was four poles that had to be held by four people, and there's no way you could have put lighting inside of it.

The best thing is if they let you see it a week in advance, so you can experiment with how to light it. I think that one or two slaved strobes with diffusers pointed upwards would produce beautiful lighting, but it will depends on the design.

Hi Marshall,

The last time I really looked at a Chuppah was at my own wedding 20 years ago. So your advice is perfectly sound and greatly appreciated.
I'll let you all know how it goes, or before if anything strange comes up.

Most reactions

Back