Transfer slides to website

suze65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi - I am creating a website as a surprise present for my partner to showcase his photos.

All his photos have been processed on slide film and I would like to know what is the best way to get these photos onto the website. I assume there are software/hardware programmes available but I don't know what to look for.

Any advice/suggestions welcome
Thanks

The best way is with a film/slide scanner. If there aren't to many, you should be able to have it done at a photo place, though it would cost more than having it done at the time of processing. If there a lot, it might actually be cheaper to buy a slider scanner and do it yourself, though that can take a lot of work.

One issue is trusting the lab to do it. Since the slides aren't yours, that gets a little tricky. Personally, I really care about my originals. While I would be really greatful that my partner would want to do something like this for me, I'd feel really uncomfortable about having my originals taken without my knowing about it and being given to people that I don't have a say in choosing.

I know for certain that he would not be at all happy if I took them out of the house as he is understandbly very protective of his slides.

Therefore, the best idea is to purchase a film/slide scanner as you suggested.

Are there any particular ones I should look out for?

How many did you want to do? If you are only scanning them for the web, then a flatbed with a transparency adapter would be fine. If you wanted to print the images, then a dedicated film scanner would be best. How many slides are you talking about?

I am planning on putting quite a lot of his photos on - probably 30-40 as there are different categories ie landscape, wildlife etc.

I already have a flatbed scanner so I guess I just need the transparency adaptor.

Once uploaded on to the website I would need the photos to be of the highest resolution so is there anything in particular I need to look out for when choosing the adaptor?

Web images require only small images. You don't bother with DPI measurements. You pick a size that is large enough to be seen, but small enough to fit on the screen. I'd say somewhere between 450x300 and 900x600.

Not all flatbeds have adapters available, and there is usually only one if there is, made specifically for that scanner. If there is one, it's often built-in these days. It's basically a light built into the lid that move along with the scan head to light the slide/film from behind.

Unfortunately, if you are new to this, there's a lot to get down. Rather than ask individual questions, I'd find a book or a website that goes over it all.

Most reactions

Back