transferring pictures to the puter

SCWIDVICIOUS

Where did I put that camera?
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you use for tranferring your pics to your computer?

I am going to get a card reader to carry with me, and I have one at home built into my printer. At the moment, i normally use the wire that came with my xti. I know readers have to be faster. Its totally inconvienient to use the one in the printer.

Do you use any software, or just drag and drop from the card?

On one of our desktops, I have a SanDisk multi-format card reader...the other desktop (my wife's) has a multi reader built in. The laptops both take SD cards, which my D80 uses, so there you go.

I tend to drag and drop instead of using automated software, because I'm a bit of a control freak.

I just use my USB cable. I used PictureProject a few times to save my photos (BIG mistake) and now I have to keep using it because otherwise I am going to have to reorganize a few GB of pictures by hand, and I don't want to do that, especially with my lack of RAM. About the card reader, it isn't going to be much faster if it is a USB card reader. Data goes through USB at teh same rate, through both your camera and your card reader.

cable takes a long time to initialize on the computer for me.
like if I plug it in, it often takes it a few minutes before it ready to transfer with the software supplied with the camera, and it wire

Hmm that may be more of a software issue. Even on dad's relic upstairs both my D200, my sister's Olympus C730 and our Multicard reader initialise instantly as an external drive when I plug them in.

I use the EOS Utility my camera came with and just plug my cam in. I Like it because it can name all the files how I want

A small compact card reader or through a Wolverine image bank. If you notice slow performance from your card reader, make sure both the card reader and the USB port it is plugged into are USB 2.0. Older computers have USB 1.0 which is pretty darn slow and was originally intended to connect peripherals (mice, keyboards etc).

Not all cameras transfer at USB 2.0. Many use USB 1.0, which is a lot slower. The real benefit to using a card reader is that you leave your camera turned off and save battery power, or continue to shoot on a new card.

i have usb 2.0, 2 gigs of ram (crucial, yea baby:)), 1700 amd turion 64 bit in my laptop. also 120 gig hd. XP pro.

I should try to reinstall the software i guess. the transfer its self isnt slow, it is the initializing. it can take 5 minutes before it is "ready" to transfer.
when you snap 3 pictures, and want to get one in a hurry, that is very annoying..lol
I am still going to get a card reader next time i think of it when im out.

The card is extreme III 4 gig card.

What do you use for tranferring your pics to your computer?

I am going to get a card reader to carry with me, and I have one at home built into my printer. At the moment, i normally use the wire that came with my xti. I know readers have to be faster. Its totally inconvienient to use the one in the printer.

Do you use any software, or just drag and drop from the card?

Card readers. I don't want some software to rename and organize my photos for me. :wink: I also sometimes save some pictures to a laptop and later transfer them all to a desktop, so I want them to stay on the cards.

I save all the files, as they are, then if I want to do resizing or editing, I copy them to another folder or save the originals to a CD or DVD. I try to keep the original, unedited photos, before I start editing. (minus all the junk and mistakes)

i have usb 2.0, 2 gigs of ram (crucial, yea baby:)), 1700 amd turion 64 bit in my laptop. also 120 gig hd. XP pro.

I should try to reinstall the software i guess. the transfer its self isnt slow, it is the initializing. it can take 5 minutes before it is "ready" to transfer.
when you snap 3 pictures, and want to get one in a hurry, that is very annoying..lol
I am still going to get a card reader next time i think of it when im out.

The card is extreme III 4 gig card.

You could also check to see if you are running too many programs in the background at once. Sometimes if you exit some of them it might speed it up.

Plain ol' usb cable for me! :thumbup:

If its slow you might check how its plugged in. I had mine plugged in thru a usb hub and it took maybe 45 min to unload a card. I thought that was average. One day I plugged it right into my comp and it was much much much much much faster. I came to realise my hub is junk :)

If its slow you might check how its plugged in. I had mine plugged in thru a usb hub and it took maybe 45 min to unload a card. I thought that was average. One day I plugged it right into my comp and it was much much much much much faster. I came to realise my hub is junk :)

If it's one of those hubs with four plugs and nothing else, it's a slow speed hub. If it's one of the ones that you must have a power supply connected, then it's a high speed. But you are right, plugging into the computer is faster.

I only use a card reader, because it makes it easier than installing some software. Also the software wants to rename things and put them places, that it decides by default. I just decided to take control and copy files, without the extra luggage. I have four desktops and a stack of laptops. (all old junk, but quantity is nice?) :lmao: Pcimcia cards for the laptops are my favorites, no cables, pretty much universal, I have one of each type in the camera bag to match the individual cameras.

Personal preference.

beatdeadhorse5.gif

Just wanted to test that image. Nothing important.

You could also check to see if you are running too many programs in the background at once. Sometimes if you exit some of them it might speed it up.

Plain ol' usb cable for me! :thumbup:

Trust me, it dont:thumbup:. I been dealing with computers since way before windows. My first system was basic, second was dos. through the years, iv learned a lot about computers, so its not in in the startup stuff :)

for those of you who dont know..
type "msconfig" in the "run" box , then hit the startup tab, and uncheck that useless stuff. you can always turn it on from the start menu. it can make huge differences in your system.

Great suggestion, I do appreciate all efforts.

The only thing on my system that is automatic is firewall, and antivirus.
I even turn a bunch of the useless system services off.

I have it plued in a 2.0 port. I use the same port at work when i tether it to the laptop for connection. That is also a great suggestion.

I have 3 to choose from on this lappy, and tried them all. lol, im getting ready to reformat anyway. Its about time to freshen this puppy up..lol:grumpy: That is always bitter sweet. they run so good, but it is so much trouble reinstallin everyhting..lol

thanks for the suggestions :)

Most reactions

Back