Transition to a 'new' 35mm camera

TheGenericusername

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
well as we get closer to the end of this year i think i need to start next year with a different camera. I have a minolta X-370 with a hmm 300mm tele, and a 50-85 mm lens. so my question is with price in mind what would be a nice upgrade to a higher end camera that would be mostly manual but with automatic features, so i can switch from automatic settings but have the option of full manual control. I would like to use my camera in college as a means of income like freelance so would film be a good idea? I dont know why I have such limitations to digital but i just like to know that i haven't altered my photos in any other means than darkroom only. Im not sure what additional details i should include. But i guess to really emphasize the fact the money is a main factor. OH and im in the U.S.

There's not much choice with Minolta, but the newest model to take your lenses would be the X-570. It has aperture priority automatic and full metered manual, and takes a motor drive or winder. The X-700 adds program exposure that will, but doesn't have true metered manual.

XD-11 is an upgrade, but I'm not sure of the specs, whether or not it has true metered manual or not. That takes a 2 fps winder, but no motor drive.

One camera I still use from time to time is the XE-7. It's a heavy camera and very similar to the Leica R3 sans winder and spot metering. It has aperture priority auto, full manual metering, 1/90 sec sync speed, that, along with the bulb setting, can be used without batteries.

All of these have a top shutter speed of 1/1000th sec. Any higher you'll have to go to the pro XK, which is costlier.

ok sorry let me edit, a 'newer' DIFFERENT camera, not minolta.

ok sorry let me edit, a 'newer' DIFFERENT camera, not minolta.

There isn't a whole lot of new film cameras these days. A quick look at the
B&H catalog indicates that their are 3 Nikons, the FM10 being the least
expensive and can be used manually.

There are also 3 outrageously priced Leica's and some other rangefinder cameras.

On the cheap side is a Vivitar V3800N that uses readily available K-Mount lenses.

You can also browse the KEH.com website too... big selection and their BGN items are known to be better than lower rated items from Adorama and BH. Personally, I prefer KEH for used items.

It would be easier for people to recommend a camera if there was a specified budget. Are you looking for Manual Focus or are you considering moving up to Autofocus?

I am personally biased towards older Pentax K-mount manual cameras; compactness, quality, lots of K-mount lenses to choose (of wide price ranges), compatible with Pentax (and Samsung) DSLRs. One such model to consider is the MX.

well i want to go to autofocus and for professional standards, high frame rate along with durability. I would like to get into freelance when i get to college so eventually i will get a DSLR until then.

I would recommend a Minolta Maxxum 7 or Maxxum 9. Both use film, BUT are very high-spec auto-focus professional cameras. In fact, the Maxxum 9 is arguably one, if not THE, finest AF film camera ever made.

The AF lenses you use are cross-format (to digital) useable by/with Sony dSLRs. Sony is really rocking the digital SLR market these days and this will continue. With a Sony dSLR you have in-body camera shake resistance and the unique offering of Carl Zeiss Auto Focus lenses.

I would recommend a Nikon N75. Its an awesome and modern camera for a good price. I love mine, and you get access to Nikon F mount lenses.

well i want to go to autofocus and for professional standards, high frame rate along with durability. I would like to get into freelance when i get to college so eventually i will get a DSLR until then.

I probably have 15 cameras at the moment including 3 X 370's, a X 570, a X 700. I'm still a Pentax guy as I'd started with screw munt and Pentax was most "backward compatible" ....well...they still are, the Current DSLRs are happy to use ANY ols Pentax bayonet mount and with the same adapters-screw mt. Pentax put the "anti-shake in the BODY..so it works even on an old K mount.

My "Main" body now is a Pentax ZX 5. It has a old school shutter speed dial. It has SPOT meter,,,important to me, it has a built in diopter adjust so I can shoot glasses off. It has TTL flash...I hate "calculating" a flash shot. I have a slave and a 283 Vivitar-and that works nifty with the pop up.
Has winder,has Multi-exposure (also a feature I need) has AR/SP/Prog, though mostly I do manual and aperture priority, has a add on pack so 4 rechargable AA's power it, has winder.

ZX 5's have a VERY chronic issue. Most of them, the pop up flash loses the ability to stay up on it's own. It's easy to hold up with a finger. The ZX-5N is a bit better..as I recall the main + os a DOF preview button. An "n" however will tend to cost more (ebay).

The SF-1 is a good AF Pentax. It dies lack the spot meter. Great viewfinder,includes ediopter adjust. The PZ-1 is top of the PZ series-sweet if you can get it but the ZX-5 has most of the same good stuff + the "manual friendly " aspect.

While my ZX-5 is AF and I HAVE AF Pentax glass..I find I PREFER some of my non AF SP Tamron zooms, Pentax K Primes and my M42 macro bellows rig. I have a rare adapter that lets me put a M42 on the ZX 5 and have the auto stop down linkage...which makes the auto bellows way more handy.

What's unique is If I get a Pentax DSLR..all that still works. I have glass that can work on my old Mamiya, my K mount Chinon, My AF/k ZX5 Pentax AND the Pentax DSLR I might get someday.

Note....SOME nikons have good "backward compatibility" To some extent you can put a '78 vintage Nikkor on the higher end AF Nikons like N80,N90,N100. SOME Nikon digitals (again-probably the high end) can use most Nikon lenses.

With Canon, the EF type (ROS) lenses tend to work with Canon DSLRS while Maxxum AF lenses should work with Minolta/Sony dslrs

I've been wanting to get a F4 D: too expensive though.

You get autofocus, a slight retro feel, and Nikon F mounts. I think its great if you can afford it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back